PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Are you a fan of Opera?

• Yes...I enjoy listening to the fat lady sing

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Nope...I'd rather do about anything other than hear opera.

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I love opera. I particularly enjoy hearing great arias sung by the greats from the past 100 years. I have an extensive collection of 78s, LPs, and CDs of those greats.
And, one must have particularly narrow musical tastes to not enjoy a performance of Rossini's "Barber Of Seville" or Verdi's "Otello," to name just two of many masterpieces.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I love symphonic/orchestral music, so I'd say I lean towards the 'like' side ...that said, I find the singing to be so 'extra', and I can't understand it. ...takes a helluvalotta skill though, for sure.
It's interesting, I enjoy the Symphony very much. Can sit thorough the whole thing and come away enjoying the experience. Country, Rock, Jazz, Blues I like em all. I do love a great Tenor. I like Broadway and Showtunes.

I've seen a bunch. La Boheme, Mefistophele, Carmen etc, and just couldn't bring myself to like them.

Opera seems to be like truffle, either you love it or hate it. There's not much in between.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not educated about opera, so I have the usual complaints, but Leontyn Price can make me tear up when I don't understand a word she's singing, and I always enjoyed Pavarotti who looked like he was in heaven when he was performing and had a fabulous voice. For some reason, I ended up attending about four performances of Tosca, which seemed to be all that was offered in the area at the time. A member of my congregation is an opera singer, basso, and off and on brings people to perform at church, once a whole opera without all the scenery. So I seem to be a permanent neophyte. I do find the prose synopsis of opera plots hilarious, much to the disgust of an opera loving friend. I could write a quick parody, but won't put you through that. The plots can be pretty convoluted and downright whacky. But yes, I like opera, inasmuch as I understand it, and sometimes when I don't, and I too can get bored. I like Mark Twain's quip, paraphrased, I love opera except for all the damned singing. I've always disliked Wagner, which always seems to be cranked out at full throttle dripping with false emotion. A composer friend tells me that is because it is always performed incorrectly, and if I saw it done right, I'd appreciate it.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I like it, not to the extent to be very informed about it. I've been to a few and have a few favorite performances by Maria Callas, but generally I just enjoy it in the present. I have friends who are opera fans, when we visit we sit outside and drink wine and listen to opera. They choose things we all like, and for the most part remember what I have liked.

It's like baseball.....well, damn near any sport for me. I like to watch baseball, especially in the park, but I don't remember players and their full career stats , what place teams are in, or who won last week, I just enjoy watching and being there in the moment. It's not like remembering great vintages of Virginias or particularly great Orientals.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
No thanks, I'll pass. The closest I get to opera is Klaus Nomi, and even that in mercifully short bursts. That said, if the choice is between opera and musicals however, I'd take opera in a New York second. I'd choose almost anything before musicals (famous last words?). As a musician, I consider it to be the lowest form of human expression, and one to be loathed by all and kept clear of each and every untainted eardrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.