PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mr_future

Lurker
Oct 4, 2024
Central Texas
If I put tobacco in one jar, aged it for a year, opened it, put half of it into a another jar, and aged that another year… would the second jar be considered to have aged two years? Or does opening reset the aging process?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Resets everytime you open the jar.
I think it would be a “partial” reset, as the tobak doesn’t revert to its prior character.

The only time it truly matters to me is when folks add an expectation of higher value in a resale situation, and in that case it should be in its original container, since there’s no way to verify the aerobic consumption of initial opening which switched over to an a anaerobic process has been undisturbed.
Which leads to the thought many cellarers have that the initial “breathing” during the switch to jars (or Mylar) is a beneficial step. This seems to me to be a self-serving belief, otherwise no one cellaring with the intent to age tobacco would put it in jars…

I highly doubt that whenever we see someone smoking “ABCD” from 20XX that it’s the first time that has been dipped into.

Thinking as I do, I gain more understanding of why many producers shy away from the topic.

But it sure drives a lot of passioned discussion…

Reactions: mr_future

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
If I smoke a blend after it’s been sealed for 5 years it’s 5 years old. If I open the jar again in 7 days to smoke it it’s not a 1week old blend.

I don’t see how the time would stop with a fresh gust of air when you open it. It’ll age differently than if it were sealed the whole time, but I can’t imagine it’s a huge difference for the average smoker.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Whatever process that was going on stops once the lid is opened and new air gets in. Therefore at that point, aging stops. No, that doesn't mean it will go back to seed before being planted.

• Haha
Reactions: The Libertine

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have to appreciate that when you remove it from its original tin you have lost at least 50% of its market value. So, be careful of what you jar. When you open a jar that's pretty well the end of the jar as far as value goes.

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Whatever process that was going on stops once the lid is opened and new air gets in. Therefore at that point, aging stops. No, that doesn't mean it will go back to seed before being planted.
I wonder if people are unsure of what you meant by “reset” from your previous post in this thread. I know I am.
What did you mean by “reset”?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I wonder if people are unsure of what you meant by “reset” from your previous post in this thread. I know I am.
What did you mean by “reset”?
Process of aging stops when lid is opened. Sort of like wine, once the cork is popped, aging stops. When lid is sealed again, the aging starts again, however, oxidation has occurred because the lib was opened, and at this point the tobacco is different animal than what it was if lid wasn't opened.

jackattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
Forgive my ignorance...

So if I age a tobacco in a jar for a year then pop it open for a bowl then reseal it, in another year's time it will have less of an aged effect (compared to if I hadn't opened it) due to it being opened?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I put tobacco in one jar, aged it for a year, opened it, put half of it into a another jar, and aged that another year… would the second jar be considered to have aged two years? Or does opening reset the aging process?
It resets the process though nobody knows in what way.
Aging is an unpredictable process.
I’ve split a large amount of a single batch into four different jars, which sat unopened, next to each other, for a decade, and vary in flavor quite a lot.
So don’t worry about it.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
So don’t worry about it.
This wins the Internet!

I’m only almost a couple years in the pipe game, and know relatively little.
I do know some blends/tobaccos are sold rather “fresh” and are appreciably better after some time in a jar.
I also know that I’ve thrown none out, or experienced bad outcomes from opening a jar of such at say, 6months and taking a couple ounces out, and another six months later, taking some more out.
Heck, even opening something up and just stocking my nose in it hasn’t harmed any.

All that said, pipeophiles seem to love obsessing on the minutiae of every aspect of acquiring tobacco, preparing tobacco, loading tobacco, lighting tobacco, drawing tobacco, tamping tobacco, ashing (or not ashing) tobacco, what to store in, what to smoke it in, etc, etc.

Bottom line for me: enjoy yourself and take what works for you and use it, keep an open yet practical mind, and realize that what you like/do now will probably be different down the road a ways.

A tobacco blends age is whatever is either put on the original container, or when I purchased it. How it’s treated from that day on can better it or detract from it.

Of course, I’m not an expert, and your mileage may vary😉

Reactions: burleybreath

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I don't pay any attention to aging. It's just what happens when you buy and store crap every week. I've got a closet full of unopened stuff that's been there a decade or more, and I just hope it's as good now as it was when purchased. As an example, I loved fresh Haddo's Delight for its perique bang, or whatever it was. I just discovered a tin from 2014. I'm too frightened to open it and be faced with some mellow shit that only a girly-man would love. Thinking of monetizing the whole mess and just smoking CH out of a tub.