PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I decided to open this 2013 tin of Gaslight today. Thanks @monty55!
The tin was slightly swollen, but the seal was still good. Upon pulling the tab and releasing the pressure inside, I was greeted with a stone fruit, fig, subtly sweet, smoky campfire aroma.
The contents were in good condition. The two plugs that had been placed in at packaging were mostly intact. There were some flakes that had fallen off the bottom of one of the plugs.
I expected the tobacco to be a little more moist upon opening, however it appears to be a good moisture for smoking.
E4DE3338-4A4D-4409-9A1E-30840E8B344B.jpeg96754446-59A3-4901-996D-CE22725CE53C.jpeg
I got the vintage H&B Irwin S. Cobbs out for the smoke.

With little or no drying time, I sat down to start smoking this Baccy.
After the Char lite and a tamp, I attempted to get the tobacco going. It took a couple more “char” lites to get a steady burn/smoke.
Incredibly smooth full, plumes of smoke. Initial taste was plum, dried fig, subtle sweet with campfire smoke and some spice. On retro-hale, I definitely pickEd up more of the smoky,peppery notes, But they are not pronounced and didn’t subdue the other flavors.
A wonderful full body, full flavor smoke.

Sipping through this tobacco provides a cool, bite free smoke. By mid-bowl,the Dried fruit, sweet notes fade while the smoky, yet incredibly smooth, bold flavor persists. Oddly, a couple of times I could swear I smelled and tasted a lightly overdone steak. The kind that you just overcook a touch and has a few charred sections on it. Also, smooth, biter dark chocolate too.

While smoking this I’m drinking a glass of ice water. Mostly to cleanse my palate and it’s a bit of a warm day. But, I could imagine having a cup of coffee with this. Or, A really good porter, stout or Islay Scotch.
One thing stays constant - Incredibly smooth, creamy, bold, natural tobacco flavor, did I say smooth!

I’m smoking this soon after lunch; the nicotine is a couple of notches above medium. I’m glad I picked this small cob to smoke this tobacco. I’m definitely not packing a group 4 size pipe full of this. Mostly because it might be a little bit too much of a good thing and IMO would best be enjoyed like a fine, mature wine or scotch.

Near the bottom of the bowl now. The flavor continues to be smooth with the most prevalent taste notes being creamy, smooth smokiness (think mesquite or cedar?) with the subtle dark chocolate. Dried fruit, subtle sweetness and pepper notes are gone; even on retro-hale.

I just finished smoking the entire bowl and setting the pipe down. Wow!

Not a “do something else” kind of smoke. You don’t want any distractions; you simply want to enjoy the luxury of it. One you should plan so you can really take it all in.

For me, it’s not an every day smoke. I will reserve this wonderfully, aged tobacco for moments that I can dedicate to sitting down and enjoying it take me to a quiet, contemplative place at the end of a full day or after one of those hallmark, special occasion Days or events.

Next on my list of aged tobaccos to smoke (that I recently acquired) is a tin of 2014 Jack Knife Plug.
?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Nice review. Gaslight and Spark Plug, love them both. I just wish they came in flakes as I'm lazy. Maybe I need to invest in a real flake cutter, or borrow Kosmo Kramers meat slicer.
Thanks!
Haven’t tried Spark Plug. I really like everything I’ve smoked from GLP!
The next time it goes on sale, I’ll have to pick up some Spark Plug and Triple Play.
Do you smoke Windjammer or Quiet Nights? Two of my favorites.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Sadly, Windjammer did not do it for me. Too much perique? I'm not sure. Or maybe because the tin art has a ship on it? Anyway, I cellared the two tins I bought when it first came out, maybe it needs a few years of age.

QN is excellent. As is JKP nd TP...and....and...etc etc, very few GP blends I dislike.

Reactions: Fralphog and Ag®o

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
Although I smoke Lat a few times, I find it extremely tasty and deep in its aromas.
Many feel it heavy on Latakia, but in my opinion it is wonderfully orchestrated.
An excellent story "to "listen" from start to finish.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Sadly, Windjammer did not do it for me. Too much perique? I'm not sure. Or maybe because the tin art has a ship on it? Anyway, I cellared the two tins I bought when it first came out, maybe it needs a few years of age.

QN is excellent. As is JKP nd TP...and....and...etc etc, very few GP blends I dislike.
I first received my Windjammer last November - it was dated in May 2021.
When I first smoked it, I wasn’t over the moon about it.
I decided to put it in the cellar for awhile.
I started smoking it again about a month ago. It has improved and is a very enjoyable tobacco now. So much so that I’ve ordered five more tins over the last couple of weeks to age.

Reactions: kola and monty55