PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
So, as I'm just getting back into pipe smoking after several years away, I'm having to reacquaint myself with some basic practices. One of which is what to do with open tins. Previously I've really only ordered bulks and just kept them jarred, but now that I am getting some tinned tobaccos I would like to know what you guys think is the best way to store open tins. I only smoke maybe two bowls per day, however I like to have a selection of blends to choose from when I go to load a bowl. This leaves me with multiple open tins. Currently I'm storing them in a box humidor. What do you guys think? Should the humidor do the trick or should I just transfer to jars?

I don't see what the problem is with keeping them in the tin. Heck, I dry my whole tin the moment I open them. I am usually one to burn through a tin within a week or so, but there are some blends I only smoke occasionally, so a month or more is not uncommon for me to leave a tobacco in the tin.
If you dry your tobaccos anyways, are you afraid they'll dry out... and what would be wrong with that? If you prefer them wet, which is weird but not uncommon, just put a piece of Saran Wrap between the tobacco and the lid. But, to totally stale out a tobacco, you'd have to leave it open for a very long time. Tobaccos get stored very dry for a long time, usually, before it goes from the farmer to market, and probably rehydrated a few times along the way.

But there is a difference between stale and dry. Stale means that cell walls have been destroyed and all of the essential oils have left the leaf, just one stage before it becomes shitdust.

If stale tobaccos are not already a problem for you, then why worry?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have at least 20-25 tins open at the same time. I keep my open tins in these plastic tubs that I bought at walmart back in 2012. They keep my tobacco fresh for 1-2 years. They are tupperware like containers and they have worked for me all these years. In the picture below, the opaque containers with the white lids are the ones I am talking about. They come in a 4 pack in 4 different sizes. Here is the pick of them.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't see what the problem is with keeping them in the tin. Heck, I dry my whole tin the moment I open them. I am usually one to burn through a tin within a week or so, but there are some blends I only smoke occasionally, so a month or more is not uncommon for me to leave a tobacco in the tin.
If you dry your tobaccos anyways, are you afraid they'll dry out... and what would be wrong with that? If you prefer them wet, which is weird but not uncommon, just put a piece of Saran Wrap between the tobacco and the lid. But, to totally stale out a tobacco, you'd have to leave it open for a very long time. Tobaccos get stored very dry for a long time, usually, before it goes from the farmer to market, and probably rehydrated a few times along the way.

But there is a difference between stale and dry. Stale means that cell walls have been destroyed and all of the essential oils have left the leaf, just one stage before it becomes shitdust.

If stale tobaccos are not already a problem for you, then why worry?
Completely in agreement. I have several tins open, in rotation. And it's absurd that they're going to degrade in a few months or weeks............. ?

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I have many many mason jars because of my inability to smoke a tin quickly. It takes me several years to smoke a tin unless it captivates me. This and me wanting to try new blends will be my downfall.

Reactions: JOHN72 and seanv

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have too many open tins. I'll get better, I promise! I just keep them in the tin. If they dry out too much, I moisten them up by throwing a Boveda or Water Pillow in the tin. If that doesn't work, I throw the whole affair into a quality Ziploc bag, such as what bull Rattray's or Mac Baren tobaccos come in. I don't philly with jarring tins - I only jar bulk or small samples (both purchased in bags).

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.