PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Could one smoke pipe tobacco from a tin opened a year ago if the paper liner and cardstock insert were left inside? I stuck a Peterson tin in a storage tote shortly after opening and haven't thought about it until recently.

I wouldn't mind pitching the contents if this weren't the case, yet I'd like to rehydrate the blend before sticking it in a glass jar.

Thank you!

Reactions: Servant King

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The only way to find out is try it! I like my tobacco very dry. Some don't. Feel some and see what you think. If not, rehydrate it. Then if it's still not good toss it!

Reactions: fireground_piper

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
@didimauw a fine suggestion, I don't mind some blends on the dry side. However my primary concern would be leaching or contamination from the paper liner or cardstock. I made sure to twist the top on rather tightly before it was stowed away, so I doubt any mould or oxidation transpired.

I realise this sounds like an off question and apologise in advance - lockdown has made me very self-conscious over what I happen upon or put inside my body.

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
@hoosierpipeguy

fair enough - logic would dictate that any residual moisture or oils would saturate the paper inside, which is a non-issue. I was unsure if gradual air exchange had any nasty side effects as I've never had an opened tin stashed away for so long. I'll sample a few bowls when I get around to it.

As always, the guidance is much appreciated.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
First, develop the practice of putting the contents of the tin in a mason jar, as soon as you open the tin. OK, you can load your pipe, then put the tobacco in the jar.

If the tobacco is green, throw it out. Actually if it is anything but brown, black or yellow, throw it out. If it is glowing, contact your health department.

If the tobacco tastes good, do the happy dance! If it is very dry, take the required rehydrating steps. Since I follow the first step, I don't know how to rehydrate.

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
First, develop the practice of putting the contents of the tin in a mason jar, as soon as you open the tin. OK, you can load your pipe, then put the tobacco in the jar.

If the tobacco is green, throw it out. Actually if it is anything but brown, black or yellow, throw it out. If it is glowing, contact your health department.

If the tobacco tastes good, do the happy dance! If it is very dry, take the required rehydrating steps. Since I follow the first step, I don't know how to rehydrate.

Duly noted. Just the other day I got a few mason jars and stowed away an aromatic English and pumpkin spice blend, just in time for autumn. Just as well, I'd gotten some of those little aluminium pucks that hold clay tablets. I followed the instructions and submerged them in cold distilled water, dried off the exterior and threw them in my pouches with a few pinches of the aforementioned. The tobacco is still delightfully moist.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I do this way too often. I find tins of tobacco opened a year ago under piles of papers in my office and my study at home all the time. I just smoke 'em like that. I don't even jar tobacco at this point, I just smoke it out of the tin or baggie. Usually I try to stick with the same few blends until I finish out the tin, but it doesn't always work.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Lots of people open sealed tins after many years, sometimes decades. The cardboard is still there with no issues. I don’t opening the tin is gonna somehow make the cardboard toxic

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It's fine, smoke it. If it's too dry just breathe through the unlit tobacco in a loaded pipe, then decide if you wanna rehydrate.