PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
But why didn't they sell? And why can't someone just buy the recipes and make more McClelland?

There's a shop in Zurich which has a shelf full of McClelland, pity is none of the flagships are left, the owner told me they were gone long ago.
They didn't want to and likely, from a financial perspective, had no need to. They got out of the business for a number of reasons. One was the inability to source some of the key components for their flagship Virginia blends. Which means no one else could source them either. There were apparently proprietary processes and even "secret sauces" that would not have been easily passed along. It's pretty clear the owner's did not want to compromise the product name and legacy for the sake of a few dollars. And given everything involved, it would have been impossible for a third party to continue to manufacture the McClelland blends at the same quality level they had held for decades.

And why can't someone just buy the recipes and make more McClelland?
Despite how many on here make recipes look like you mix a little of this with a little of that, McClellands used to actually process the leaf. For some of the best blends, it involves some intuition as well experience.
Sourcing the leaf is also not about just calling around to find a red Virginia. Everyone has a very over simplified concept of this also. It was a matter of finding someone willing just to harvest certain leaves off of the plants for him, and his "guy" was no longer doing this for him.

PBR was okay to me, not the best, but not bad. I find most of the artisanal beers i've tried overproduced. The flavors are unique but not particularly good. Some of the old factory lagers have more appeal for me.
IPAs are only loved by people with a deep seated self-loathing and total disregard for humanity. I've had to teach myself to stop slapping corncobs out of people faces when I see them smoking them, but I have yet to cure myself of what i do when I see hipsters drinking IPAs. puffy

Ever since I was a young lad, when I would hear someone ask about PBR, about the most positive response I would hear is... "I can drink it, but I'd also drink horse piss if it got me drunk."

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
IPAs are only loved by people with a deep seated self-loathing and total disregard for humanity. I've had to teach myself to stop slapping corncobs out of people faces when I see them smoking them, but I have yet to cure myself of what i do when I see hipsters drinking IPAs. puffy

Ever since I was a young lad, when I would hear someone ask about PBR, about the most positive response I would hear is... "I can drink it, but I'd also drink horse piss if it got me drunk."

Well we dont drink horse piss around here.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
And why can't someone just buy the recipes and make more McClelland?
In addition to other reasons, first, the leaf likely doesn’t exist. Mike has long said that he was finding it more and more difficult to find the quality of leaf they needed for their blends. Also, it’s unlikely that another blender would be willing to pay the price required for this leaf, even if they could find it; again, Mike has been vocal about not caring about the price if it got him the quality he required. No major blender is going to accept the kind of margins that they did. Never mind that Mary drove blend recipes as well as tin art. This was truly a family business run with passion.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
In my estimation thier blends are very good and, just as important, unique. Ceasing production meant ceasing a unique experience, except for Sillems Black being very close in experience to Frog Morton (to me).

novaki

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Meridian, MS
Were their tobaccos really that good or it just another case of unobtaninum makes people nuts?
A bit of both. I started getting into pipe smoking around ~2015 or so. I was still learning how to smoke a pipe and figuring out what I liked when McClelland closed down. I kick myself all the time for not buying any, but I was warned that English tobacco (like the popular Frog Morton series) and red Virginia (their most sought after stuff) wasn't for beginners and I should stay clear of any and blends like this, and that's basically what McClelland were known for. When they closed up shop, I didn't know anything about them other than tin art the the missus liked and always wanted me to buy it because of that. I never did, until years later when I could afford to pay 10 times the price for them. The more I think about how much Captain Black I was smoking back then and all the bulk aromatics I bought when I could have had McClelland just makes it worse.

But now I know a lot more about pipe smoking and the tobacco industry now. Some of the changes that happened, like the end of tobacco auctions and the end of tobacco subsidies that helped produce the "good stuff" ended. Not much is done "the old way" anymore, and the impression I get is that a lot of McClelland was done as close to "the old way" as possible, from the start of the tobacco on the farm to the end where they had their own proprietary process. At least that's the lore I buy into when I buy the occasional tin for an absurd price.

For me the proof is in the pudding though, as Frog Morton Cellar is one of the best tobacco's I've ever smoked. Frog Morton original (Frog on a Log) wasn't my favorite, but I'd never turn it down. I don't even believe this is due to the age on it, I think it's just that good. I have sampled 5100 and a few of the reds which were superb and I even liked some of their aromatics, even though many didn't. Many people hated Black and Lemon, which is one of my favorites from them. It really all comes down to taste. That being said, I did see a lot more people bad mouthing McClelland before the closure than I do nowadays. (EDIT: I especially saw a lot of "ew gross, what is this ketchup???" reactions to the now highly sought after Christmas Cheer)

There are still some "holy grail" tins that I look for from time to time when searching around for McClelland, but I imagine I'll find them in time. I have tried several match and alternative blends and while some stuff does check a lot of the boxes, none of them get close to the depth, sweetness, and smoothness that I've gotten out of some of these blends. It's a shame they closed, but I can understand their not wanting to compromise on quality. I feel like they were such a good team that they probably could have made some stellar tobaccos, even using subpar (or standard) leaf, but that's just my opinion. I understand that they were getting close to retirement age anyway, and have been doing it for longer than I've been alive, so I can understand why they'd want to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

TL;DR - Yes and yes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My favorite McC's were RedCake (I refuse to call it by it's stupid catalog number), Deep Hollow, British Woods, Guillotine Slices, and Tawney Flake. Luckily, I ended up with a good variety of them in my cellar. Just not as deeply cellared as I would have preferred.
Didn't you drive through several state buying up all the Red Cake you could find? Or was that some other cosmicfolklore?

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I really like Oriental #6 and frog on a log. I've learned to enjoy cheer without getting tongue bite. I like dark star too. I didn't like the Sherlock Holmes series, and I never hit it off with the anniversary blends. I have many that I purchased but never tried. I think that's silly now but at the time I was collecting.

So like other houses not all blends are for all people.

Reactions: novaki
being relatively new to the pipe world I never had a chance to try any of them and I see them going for insane prices so I am just wondering
I am relatively new to pipes (~1.5 years) and I have had a few samples thanks to some friends and samplers I bought here and I would say it's decent tobacco to my inexperienced palate but not life changing. I think I have quite a good palate due to an exceptional sense of smell and 30 years of a serious wine hobby and I can detect a lot of nuanced flavors but there is nothing in the McClellands that i have tried that makes me want to drop anywhere near close to $100 or more a tin. But others do and are happy to do so and I don't fault them one bit for spending their money that way. They should buy what they like and scarcity will drive prices up for about any product.

Now, paying over $100 for a bottle of wine?? YESSSSSS. ALL DAY LONG!! ;)

Last edited: