PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Most guys have a contact form or an email, lots of guys use facebook and even more instagram.

Pipe makers are not cannibals or anything, most of them are super friendly and naturally eager to hear from prospective customers. What we don't like is guys who need 200 emails about details and then back out. So look around, find a few makers whose work you like, whose price range seems sensible to you, and hit those guys (or gals) up.
Thank you for the advice! You've been recommended a bunch so I plan to reach out to you. The BSTs posted in this thread are stunning!

Reactions: AroEnglish

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
There are many carvers you could call on. One I would recommend if Doug Finlay who live in KC. He's an outstanding carver. I don't know if he has ever done an Oom Paul. And since you didn't specify a price point it is a little difficult to recommend a carver.
Thank you for the recommendation! Budget-wise, I don't have one. I figured a commission will likely fall in line with other boutique high-end pipes I want or already own and I'd rather give the business to a smaller artisan than a conglomerate or corporation.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Might want to search this site first; one example:

i love Oom Pauls/Hungarians and have a few that I smoke regularly: Dunhill Shell and Tanshell, Comoy's Extraordinaire, A Peterson's Supreme, and a Connoisseur panel. I've smoked only Virginia flakes and VaPers in each of them. You can usually find one or more of these on eBay and you can't miss with any I have mentioned.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
i love Oom Pauls/Hungarians and have a few that I smoke regularly: Dunhill Shell and Tanshell, Comoy's Extraordinaire, A Peterson's Supreme, and a Connoisseur panel. I've smoked only Virginia flakes and VaPers in each of them. You can usually find one or more of these on eBay and you can't miss with any I have mentioned.
I'm not the O.P. and wouldn't commission a hungarian when there are so many excellent ones already available. I have a Barontini hand made, an unstamped Cellini Original, a Savinelli 604KS and a Peterson Pub pipe 9mm in transit. Smoking Pipes.EU has some excellent genods and chacoms for reasonable prices and SmokingPipes.Com has some Ropps that look gorgeous. My cellini is the driest pipe I have ever smoked. If you were only going to have one I suppose a commission would be the way to go but ... why limit yourself ?? ;):sher:

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm not the O.P. and wouldn't commission a hungarian when there are so many excellent ones already available. I have a Barontini hand made, an unstamped Cellini Original, a Savinelli 604KS and a Peterson Pub pipe 9mm in transit. Smoking Pipes.EU has some excellent genods and chacoms for reasonable prices and SmokingPipes.Com has some Ropps that look gorgeous. My cellini is the driest pipe I have ever smoked. If you were only going to have one I suppose a commission would be the way to go but ... why limit yourself ?? ;):sher:
Yeah the BriarWorks ones are quite nice and I enjoy my Peterson Pub.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Oh, I have plenty from various makers! It is probably my favorite shape (certainly top 3) and I'd like something made for me, not off the shelf. Sure, my Castello Ooms or Dunhill Ooms are excellent smokers... But they're readily available. No personal artistic flair!