PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Just a word of caution: if you stay away too long, you may become incurably sane...too sane to ever rejoin the giant psych-ward we call society.
I think I'm just about there brian!
Oh come on! How am I supposed to enjoy normal life when you keep posting these idyllic pictures? ha. Keep posting though, I can puff away on some schemes and dreams at least
Never stop dreaming my friend, I'm living proof, they do come true!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Here's another update for anyone interested.
First off, a BIG thank you and shout out to "woodsroad" (Dan)! It was like Christmas here! Dan, you are the man!! This is some great baccy!

Now another BIG thanks to "fitzy", what a great care package, two tins each of my two favorites, and a wine voucher!

And finally, a BIG thanks to "troutface" (Jeff), who sent me some Chelsea Morning, and some samples of several other great baccy's! Sorry Jeff, I didn't get a pic before I jared them up. But I'm so thankful and appreciative of all the kindness here. Again, thanks to all!
Well I got my new roof tarp up! It makes a world of difference in the summer heat and rain/hail storms. My system takes all the stress off the grommets. It just barely moves,even when the wind howls!

Shock cord is tied between grommets and ring, paracord is woven through. One component pulls down, while another pulls up and out. The three foot overhang is great for keeping my Windows open during bad weather.

The upward and outward component is woven to a parameter line, which is doubled paracord run between two trees, and attached to eye bolts, NOT the tree itself.

Each spring I purchase new front and back porches. They are simply inexpensive canvas painters drop clothes. About $12 each. Stake them down, and they will not only help keep your tent cleaner, but also they are easy to sweep off and gives a clean smooth surface to gather snow from for melting.

I'll be putting up new porch tarps, front and back soon. I'll post pics.
I have surgery scheduled on July 19 for my right wrist. Carpal tunnel. Started when I had to start using chainsaw to cut firewood. I'll get left wrist done next winter. I also hyperextended my left elbow yesterday. It's quite painful. Sucks getting old!
Until next time!

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Monty, thanks for all of the updates. I'm uber-impressed with the roof tarp system! What do you do for the ridgeline?
Best wishes for a successful surgery. Will they be sending out a visiting nurse to help with rehab? Please keep us informed.

1297587681347_ORIGINAL.jpg

Woodland Medical Service nurse waits patiently for Monty to return to camp

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks guys. Loving it more every day!
Monty, thanks for all of the updates. I'm uber-impressed with the roof tarp system! What do you do for the ridgeline?
There is an eye bolt on the top of the tent on each end for attaching lines to, if desired. They go through a grommet in the tent fabric, and through ridge pole with a nut on the bottom. I have a grommet kit, so I put a grommet in the tarp at both ends in the correct spot and now the eye bolts go through the tarp first, then tent, then ridge pole.
Oh, hell yes I need a nurse! ;)
So I shaved my beard off. Couldn't do another summer with it. No Santa gigs for me this year I guess.

Dec 24, 2012
No idea how I missed this fascinating thread the first time around. I read every word, and was awestruck with what Monty is doing. I hope he is well. Monty, chime in and give us an update.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wonder myself how he's doing. My guess would be that he's been evicted by now, especially if he's been logging in a National Forest. I hope he's still living his dream though. He is/was damned near totally self-sufficient. Fascinating story!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Had to subscribe to this thread and sincerely hope Monty is doing alright and still living his dream. I fancy this kind of living and have been feeling the draw of it in recent years.