PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I haven't had more than 8" at a time. But there have been instances of up to 6' of snow in this area in the past.
But given the state of the climate these days, I'm not too worried about that kind of snow. But, I'm ready if it happens.

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Update, A few pics of my life over the last two years.
Some winter

What I do during summer!

A ladder I made

Lunch!

Cool contrail

Rear swingaway bumper by TAG, has a place for Jerry can, spare tire, and highlift jack.

Two 33gal bed tanks made by Granger Plastics for 66gal of fresh water.

Mountain man looks has it's advantages...

Santa gigs at Christmas!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That is all truly awesome. Well, almost all of it. I envied you until I saw the lunch pic...then suddenly civilization seemed good again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Incredibly fine pix from the styx! Great recounting, Monty, glad to have read it.
Have to admit I couldn't do what you did, but also I've never felt the urge, either. But diff strokes, and all. Pleased to "know" you.
Hope to see/read more.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hey Monty,
Sounds like your living the life over there.(Except for lunch lol)
What pipe tobacco have you been smoking? Is there someway to mail you some tobacco?
Fitzy

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There are people in the world who pay big dough for that kind of experience....for a week or two.
Two years IS the experience. Kudos to you for taking the chance.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
That is a sweet stove! What length splits can you fit in there, 18"s? Does the stack stay clean on its own?
You can fit 18" splits in it, but only on the very bottom because there is a baffle that gets in the way at the top of the burn chamber.
The stack you see in the pic is a POS because it's 5" at the stove, and 4" at the top end. It's made to collapse and stow away inside the stove for transport. Sounds great, but not useful in the field. Because it's tapered towards the top the smoke condenses up there and quickly builds up carbon soot. So much so that it requires daily cleaning, or else your going to quickly have smoke, and then fire coming out the stove door! And good luck finding a chimney brush that will clean a tapered pipe!
I quickly replaced it with a straight 5" pipe that only needs cleaning about every 10 days. And yes, you got to take it down and outside to pull a brush through it, which can be an interesting ordeal during the dead of winter when you have a fire going 24-7!

• Love
Jun 27, 2016
Nice, man. That's got to be a chore dealing with that in the middle of winter. How do you break it down with the fire going? Doesn't the tent get filled with smoke? Wrapping the stack with chimney liner insulation top to bottom might help keep the stack temps up and condensation down, but that stuff might not be totally weatherproof without attention beyond normal installation procedures, (it's really meant to be around a liner that is going inside an existing chimney and capped, so out of the elements), and it will make your set-up heavier. Or you could try double-wall stainless flexi-liner, which will be heavier on its own, but will more or less clean itself with a cool-down cycle so that the coiled construction can contract, and then when you heat it up again, it expands and you can hear any build-up tinkling down. Of course you still want to check it regularly, and you have no fire during the cool-down cycle.

You using stainless or galvi? I'd be a little bit concerned about hot galvi fumes in the tent.

Not ragging on your setup at all, mostly glad that you are cleaning it out regularly, and maybe concerned about galvi fumes.

:puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
How long will that stack of wood last you running 24/7? Looks like about half a cord. Do you know how much you burn during the cold season? Just wondering if you prepare a full seasons worth at once, or only do a few weeks worth at a time, hedging against having to move out on two-weeks notice, or faster if necessary. It sounds like you are really out of the way though.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I'll go through 8 times that much total from fall to spring. About 4 cords. I cut and split about half in the spring before it's too hot, and the other half in late summer after it cools down. It only takes about 90 days max to season the wood up here in low humidity.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Ummmm, do you really eat the grubs? Otherwise, I am in awe of your willingness to go do this, and I bet it is great for the mind, body, and soul!