PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just came across this story and I didn't see it posted here. The province of Ontario is proposing a ban on possession of "tobacco and tobacco products" starting July 1 2021 under a certain amount.

If passed, a person, or "family of 2" is limited to, at any time "of up to and including 30 days in the calender year", 2 of the following;

- 10 cigarettes
-12 cigars or cigarillos (what are those anyway?)
-20g of 'pressed tobacco product' (I'm guessing that is like a tin?)
-20g of 'chewable tobacco'

It goes on to say that private "use, purchase, or cultivation of tobacco plants as outlined is to be subject to a ban starting September 1 2020" So I guess you can still grow a tobacco plant if you buy it before September?

I've already emailed my MPP about it, and if there are any other Ontarians here (I know there are) please email yours.

Here's a link to the CBC article about it:

CBC News: Ontario Mulling Ban on Amounts of Tobacco for Personal Use

Even made it into my local news station website!

InsideHalton news link

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just came across this story and I didn't see it posted here. The province of Ontario is proposing a ban on possession of "tobacco and tobacco products" starting July 1 2021 under a certain amount.

If passed, a person, or "family of 2" is limited to, at any time "of up to and including 30 days in the calender year", 2 of the following;

- 10 cigarettes

It goes on to say that private "use, purchase, or cultivation of tobacco plants as outlined is to be subject to a ban starting September 1 2020" So I guess you can still grow a tobacco plant if you buy it before September?

I've already emailed my MPP about it, and if there are any other Ontarians here (I know there are) please email yours.

InsideHalton news link
Is this an April fools? Its just gotta be an April fools.

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor - Find & Share on GIPHY

Aug 1, 2012
I heard yesterday where Volkswagen had released a statement that it was changing it's name to Voltswagen on the 29th. No sign at all that it was a joke, and their stock took a huge hit. The guy in the news said that companies don't get to pick what day it releases an April Fools joke.
It was so much like German humor to release it on the 29th, confirm it on the 30th and say it's a joke on the 31st just to be early for April fool's day.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I heard yesterday where Volkswagen had released a statement that it was changing it's name to Voltswagen on the 29th. No sign at all that it was a joke, and their stock took a huge hit. The guy in the news said that companies don't get to pick what day it releases an April Fools joke.
So.. FarfromDrunken was a lie?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's literally impossible to comment without locking this thread. At a certain point, we need to be able to discuss the ramifications of Governmental taxes and social influence on our hobby like grown adults.

The mods rules can be "right" all the way utill tobacco is outlawed and we have nothing left to talk about.

Rant over...

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It's literally impossible to comment without locking this thread. At a certain point, we need to be able to discuss the ramifications of Governmental taxes and social influence on our hobby like grown adults.

The mods rules can be "right" all the way utill tobacco is outlawed and we have nothing left to talk about.

Rant over...
Dude it’s an April Fools joke. Lighten up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

- 10 cigarettes

InsideHalton news link
Damn! Here I was, thinking this would be a great opportunity to engage in a massively lucrative criminal enterprise, bordering on governmental in scale, and it's just an April Fool's joke?

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.