Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I only eat cheeseburgers and potato wedges.
That would cause me too much stress and a calorie deficiency.
I'm a large American and would help you out if I could. Seriously, I smell cookies and gain 2 pounds.

That being said, I could live off of various hamburgers. For a few years, I designed the "hamburger of the day" at a tapas restaurant. I ate burgers 4 days a week and never got tired of them.

However, I don't envy someone who doesn't have a choice. Respect.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Luuuuuuv bacon
But bacon, and only bacon every day 🤔
Fergeddit 😵‍💫
I know someone who has potato chips as his vegetables everyday. No greens :rolleyes:
Not me. I thrive on variety.
My wife gets upset with my bitching about eating leftovers 😁
Sorry about making a joke of a typical 1st world problem "What ! Caviar AGAIN ?"
Which for countless worldwide is a question about survival :(

Reactions: Hillcrest
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If I had to, I could probably make due with Sir John's Flake Virginia, CVP or MB HH Pure Virginia as the only blend I smoke. Fortunately, I don't have to, My need or desire for variety has diminished substantially over time but I don't see it becoming less than it now is.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
For cigarettes and dip/chew I stick to the same, those arent as much about flavor.

For pipe tobacco and cigars it's about flavor, and you can only focus on one flavor for so long before you get bored.

If I had to I could smoke one blend, but If I only had one blend I'd reach for my pipe less and for a cigar more often.

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI
I've tried to vary, using what I've learned here, but I always end up going back to my old favorite. It's called Black and Gold, and I get it in bulk from Jack Sceartz in Chicago

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am amazed at the number of people who thrive on one blend, particularly farmers in the region. I smoke three blends regularly (Pease's Six Pence and Stonehenge as well as C&D's Mad Fiddler). I have three others that I smoke occasionally, Pease's Windjammer and Windjammer and Mac Baren's HH Rustica.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
This is an interesting topic. If, 50 years ago, a forum such as this could have existed, most members would likely have little or no frame of reference to respond. My experience of over 40 years certainly began with a a sampling of the then available drug store blends, settling on Borkum Riff. It was only later that I discovered L.J Peretti and their great in house blends as well as Balkan Sobranie ( both black and white). I wish that I had saved some of those.
There is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying just one blend. How many of us smoked 1Q for years. But, there are so many great blends now available and, for me, sampling a variety, while hit or miss, adds to the pleasure of pipe smoking. I now mostly return to core group of my favorites (wessex original dark fragrant, old Gowrie, Devil's holiday, opening night and hal o the wynd) but look forward to trying new tobacco. Most recently I went on a long spree with Hogshead and I am now enjoying the most recent iteration of Eight State Burley which is a bit of a new experience for me.