PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
no one took on all the Dunhill match stuff after their withdrawal so precedents are set.
Dunhill's attempts to wash their hands of pipe tobacco is no surprise but Sutliff had to give up match Elizabethan due to legal entanglement. The artwork on the Frog Morton tins was the work of Mary McNiel and the ties to tobacco may land them in some trouble. The Tolkien estate went after Country Squire for intellectual properties as well.

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
If this is a post about a pipe tobacco blend named Cointreau, then that sounds interesting and appealing. If this is a post about marinating strawberries in Cointreau, that sounds equally delicious. If this is a post about Frog Morton, although my experience was limited to the one that included the wooden barrel chunk, I found it a nice blend. If this is a post about arguing legal intellectual property shite, then goodbye!

Yikes, I see intellectual property lawsuits by the boatload there!
Yeh, if the company was within reach of US courts, they'd be worried. But, US laws cannot stretch into another country like that. A US company can drop lawsuits on companies in other countries, if they sell in the US, pertaining only to the products that hit the US market. (but even then, the company could just chose not to sell to the US) But, this company doesn't seem to be even trying to reach the US market. So, they are insulated from the reach of US courts.

When you travel abroad, you'll see lots of violations of US trademarks and copyrights, in products that are only sold inside those countries. There's really nothing that can happen to them.

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
View attachment 342244

So this is the order form. What the heck is CPF and CEP?
CPF is the Brazilian Social Security Number (we use it a lot here), and CEP is the Zip Code.

I can give you a random CPF to use, that shouldn't cause any issues. But you need the CEP for correct delivery.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to represent American Zip Codes in the Brazilian format, Graciano told me his site isn't configured for international sales.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
If you want to trust a pipe smoking stranger, though, I can buy them with my Zip Code, and manually ship them for you afterwards. We could settle it through PayPal then, or maybe trade tobacco.

I could also be a scammer of course puffy

To Trust or Not to Trust
Nice plan, but tell me what R$60 is in Dollars first, please.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Unfortunately Graciano remains a stubborn ox about adapting the website for international shipping, so there's no figuring it out.

But, if you're interested I can do for you the same thing I offered Rodo puffy
Ugh, when I look at the site, it appears that all of the FM homage blends are sold out but for the Bayou. I'll keep an eye for a restock and perhaps then hit you up, @AngueraCoyra - if my 2024 tobacco budget hasn't been blown by then!

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
Yikes, I see intellectual property lawsuits by the boatload there!
That was my first thought too Embers. I'm a lawyer here in Brazil, and although I only work with Tax, I do know my way around our intellectual property laws.

Basically, it comes down to what Cosmic said: I don't believe any company would go through the trouble of trying to win reparations here. They'd most likely end up with a statute of limitations sentence after some 15 years of waiting, and much money spent on rogatory letters.

Besides, the trickiest part would be about the tin art, as you mentioned. But I believe Graciano's is original - at least I haven't seen anything similar in publicly available pictures of old Frog Morton tins.

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
If this is a post about a pipe tobacco blend named Cointreau, then that sounds interesting and appealing. If this is a post about marinating strawberries in Cointreau, that sounds equally delicious. If this is a post about Frog Morton, although my experience was limited to the one that included the wooden barrel chunk, I found it a nice blend. If this is a post about arguing legal intellectual property shite, then goodbye!
Why?? It's such fun puffy

Btw, the Frog Morton homage for Bourbon comes with the barrel chunks too! This time it's 4 pieces, neat stuff.

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
Ugh, when I look at the site, it appears that all of the FM homage blends are sold out but for the Bayou. I'll keep an eye for a restock and perhaps then hit you up, @AngueraCoyra - if my 2024 tobacco budget hasn't been blown by then!
There's that issue! Graciano only restocks once or twice a year at best. Some blends can take years to become available again.

I'd bet the Frogs will become available again sometime next year. We can keep in touch, and in the meantime if you see something you like in his website, I'm your man.

• Love
Reactions: khiddy

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I'm always really interested in blenders operating in remote, at least when it comes to pipes, locales.

I wonder how much of a pain it is to source leaf? I've heard Brazil has pretty punishing import tariffs so I imagine importing anything not made locally like latakia, orientals or perique is no mean feat.