PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
It is noted that more and more lurks are first requesting a pipe ID and after info is given, next ask for evaluation. Even long term members rise to the bait, encouraging the trend. Some used vailed long entries dance around but they hope that someone of us will try to make a PM purchase . I will not post a welcome . All in for new members but when they say that they don’t smoke I know why they attempt to use us and put us away dirty. I am tempted to risk a 6 point hit to let all know how I feel. Notice that even flea bay doesn’t have a section for evaluation because they want you to hunt for good deals. If we don’t want to stop these probes then create a thread. If you disagree, fine, I will increase my blood pressure pils and roll with the punches. Not sorry for the rant.

Drunk-talk GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not resent the site being used for research. If a member wishes to attempt a transaction via PM . . . I see no harm. Is there a bit of trying to circumvent the posted rules? It's possible but, from appearances anyway, many members are not particularly conversant in the rules or, choose to ignore them at times, if convenient. I simply accept the posts on face value. But, such posts/requests aren't really in my "wheelhouse" so I skip them for the most part.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm afraid I try to greet most new member introductions in an open minded way, but even if they aren't up to some one-shot fishing expedition, I often doubt that they'll be back in any significant way. But off I go, trying to relate to their location and pipe interests. With this thread's encouragement, I may be a little less solicitous and pass on posting if the person doesn't sound authentic.

I have to wonder about the introductions that say, "Howdy," or "Pipe Smoker from Cairo." And that's all. If you are going to introduce yourself, do it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'll just say thanks to those that drop into the new member area and say welcome to whomever they choose to welcome. I just haven't ever done that and don't have the time to check them and if I did one I'd feel like I'd have to welcome all, all but glad others do it. My excuse is I figure they'll start showing up here or there and I'll get to know them that way. Reality is I'm a welcoming committee freeloader, lol.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I suppose the part that irks me is when the individual posting doesn't disclose that they are in fact outsourcing research for an eBay sale. When I think you love your vintage pipe and want to know more about it I'm glad to do the digging but when it's a veiled attempt to get us to write your sales pitch for premium pricing in terms of historical value, well I'd say that's rather different. I've paid out of pocket for a British Newspaper Archive subscription to help member research their pipes in the past because I find it enjoyable and share in the happy owner's enthusiasm.

Reminds me of that Mitre fellow, insisting the stinger on his Dr. Plumb was a hidden dagger so he could justify premium pricing on eBay.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't mind. Kind of nice to have people respect our opinions on something, even if they're just using us. Also don't buy a pipe off a lurker. And hey it's better then grandpas pipes getting thrown out or lost because the person has no idea how much they might be able to get. And if they're that up front in asking about value of a particular pipe I assume they are trying to sell it and not just curious.

Jan 27, 2020
What I do resent is one post or no post posters who hover around the tobacco sale section. I don't sell much tobacco but I much prefer to sell mine, which when I do sell I offer for a reasonable price, to someone who actually participates here and am happy to give further discounts to those who participate inanely at times.

Reactions: Toast
We've got members who are very knowledgeable, and love to share what they know. So, someone uses us? Who really gets hurt?

As for hoping to make a PM purchase and circumvent the forum rules... everyone beware. If someone would wish to enter into a shady deal, just realize that no one is going to help you if you get screwed, and you're probably going to get screwed. But, if it should just happen to be a good deal, and each side is happy, no harm. The rules about buying and selling are there to protect members. If someone should wish to do a deal with a one post wonder, then they have no recourse on here and should just shut the hell up if they do get screwed. You did the dirty, and you knew it was risky.

We had someone a few years ago that inherited a whole box of Dunhills. He posted asking where to get help, and it was obvious some members were trying to vulturize the guy's collection on the cheap. And... no surprise, they got screwed.

The reason we don't want people just coming on and buying and selling right off, is that they have no vested recourse. Banning a one hit wonder after they've screwed over a forum member isn't going to be much of a punishment. They won't care, and banning them just adds an extra layer of protection for them. And, I would even warn members to not deal with people who just meet the minimum posts. Get to know them, sell to only those who have participated enough that you know their name, location, and maybe a few of their opinions.

When I gave away pounds of Esotericas to just get them out of my way, The first guy who PM'd had all of the minimum posts, but I had never seen the guy before on here. But, he was fast as hell to respond, like immediately after my post. I advise to just ignore those guys. You are in no way obligated to deal with these guys. I did sort of feel like I should make the gift, but after thinking about it, who cares if you ignore someone who just shows up for the freebies. If they bawk about it openly on a thread, you can then make your case out in the open, and we would back you.

Jan 27, 2020
I did sort of feel like I should make the gift, but after thinking about it, who cares if you ignore someone who just shows up for the freebies.

Absolutely especially when having a conversation on the forum is free although it seems like some are even too cheap for that as they are spending all their energy looking for rare tobacco at a discount.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore