PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have pipes by Ryan Alden, Scott Thile, Rad Davis, Perry White, Larrysson and a handful of others. They all smoke great or I wouldn't keep them.
But one of my favorite pipe makers is Thomas James... I have two and I have no idea why his pipes aren't more popular.
p1010012-600x450.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
My favorite artisan pipe is a Nate King, the stem is perfect, great draw, easiest clench, smokes great every time.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It's really hard to buy a bad handmade pipe today. People are more knowledgeable and the market is so competitive. I stopped by our own Klicklcks table at the Chicago show.
His pipes looked awfully damn nice....if awfully damn big..:)
Name a name and you will find a fine pipe. Often for less than half the price of a new Dunhill and a couple of hundred less than a new Castello.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I often wonder if anyone ever lashed out big money for a high end hand crafted pipe made by a renowned carver only to find it smoked like a dog.
Would anyone ever admit to such I wonder :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Konstantinos Anastasopoulos.

His eye for detail appeals to me. Probably my favorite stem/bit that I've personally used. He makes many pipes in my size and dimension preference. His use of color is bold but often understated and never flashy.

Finally he is personable and approachable...and he stands behind his work.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jay, I'm not sure what "big money" is, but the most I've ever spent on an artisan pipe is $350. The vast majority of my artisans were at $300 or below, but I did have one pipe I purchased from an artisan that I struggled with for about ten bowls before I called him up and voiced my concerns. He had me ship him the pipe so he could make the stem adjustments and Shazam!! Comfortable and a pleasure to smoke. If you buy an artisan pipe you enter into a relationship, not just a business deal.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I bought a very high end pipe and it smoked terrible, that being said it was my fault for not contacting the maker and informing him. I always suspected it was the Briar and not the Pipe maker, so Shame on me.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I hope you're alright down there Old Cajun. I saw there's some tornadoes in Louisiana today.
I often wonder if anyone ever lashed out big money for a high end hand crafted pipe made by a renowned carver only to find it smoked like a dog.
I doubt all those estate pipes out there are good smokers?
If you buy an artisan pipe you enter into a relationship, not just a business deal.
This is true if you are commissioning a pipe or buying direct from the carver, which is the way to go because you get to build a relationship. That relationship allows for both parties to be honest with each other and essentially guarantees that the buyer is happy with the quality of the pipe. :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mother, pipes are funny tools. I've have pipes that I thought were dogs and I'll trade or sell them and the new owner thinks they're the best smoking pipes ever. Crazy.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm going to have to put in a good word for Craig Cooper here. I am lucky enough to have two of his pipes, and I love them both. He leans toward the classic shapes which I like. Sadly, from what I understand, he's not making pipes anymore.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Mother, pipes are funny tools. I've have pipes that I thought were dogs and I'll trade or sell them and the new owner thinks they're the best smoking pipes ever. Crazy.
Ash, this is so true. It's definitely an 'each his own' kind of world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A special salute to the late Bob Hayes who graced North Carolina with his superb pipes and was best carver awardee at the TAPS pipe show more than once. I wish I had know of him, and gotten to know him over a longer time.
My go-to pipe carver since 2002 has been Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C. in the foothills west of Greensboro, site of the Persimmon Festival every year. I am devoted to Jerry's pipes and an admirer of his independent and creative spirit. He doesn't sell online: "If I sold online, I'd spend all my time taking pictures instead of making pipes." His work is, in part, understated, traditional, regional, and very distinct to its creator. I'm not sure if the influence is direct or not, but there is an undercurrent of Japanese artistry in his use of asymmetry and subtle irregularity, though at the same time adhering to a kind of high-country plainness and directness. As near as I can tell, he is not emulating the mainstream of carvers, but goes his own way with a steady confidence and creativity. He can use stripes of color and little line etchings on his pipes, but they still adhere to a easeful simplicity. There is a brilliance to them that reminds me of Shaker furniture and Amish crafts. When he gets set up at his booth at the N.C. State Fair, with the high intensity lamps bringing up the grain, multi-colored woods, and shapes of his work, it is pipe craftsmanship as fireworks. He sells his pipes at the N.C. State Fair Village of Yesteryear (where he has been mayor of the village) and at the TAPS pipe show at the State Fairgrounds in April. He works in briar, Mountain Laurel, maple, Cocobolo and perhaps other woods. His work is precisely to my taste.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It is quite hard to narrow it down to one carver, as I am partial to so many, but one who I do not think gets enough praise is James Aydlott (Royal Oak Briars). I have two of his pipes and they are superb smokers and the fit and finish on them is excellent. He trained with Michael Lindner and you can definitely see the influence that Lindner has had on James, but James added his own spin on the pipes and they definitely have a flavor all his own. I would suggest that anyone here who was looking for another carver to try out, that they give Royal Oak briars a try.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My favorite pipe to smoke is a lumberman that I got from Basil Meadows, aka Reddog Pipes. I have two of his pipes, and the drilling is spot on and the briar is tasty. He recently received a bit of notice for his accurate rendions of the Bing Crosby and Merchant Service style pipes. I hope to get a few more of his pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zerohunter, despite lots of good instructions on posting photos, I'm not saavy, but I'd like to share a look at some of Jerry Perry's pipes, though not on this thread. I'll fiddle with it, perhaps pass them by email to someone who posts photos regularly. But I don't want folks waiting to see them while I meander. Also, if I spot any online (rare to see them) I'll pass along the link.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Quick, we need someone to eat all these hamburgers and waffles and make some pipes... who should we call?"

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I hesitate because, while i have many artisan pipes, I have yet to actually commission one for myself (But I am talking to Zack).
So I am therefore smoking someone else's vision, etc. If I had to pick one of the artisans whose pipe(s) I own, though, I think the nod goes to Rad Davis. Fine looking pipes, and the damn things smoke so well. And I have an early one, too, before he had perfected his aesthetic: still a flawless smoker.
Doing this on my study break, and I have an essay due in less than 90 minutes or I would dig out my Rads for a pic. sorry. Maybe later.
If you said, 'NO mike! it has to be a guy making pipes now!' I would have to go with Lee von Erck. I am afraid to smoke mine sometimes for fear I will get nic poisoning from the cavernous bowl full of what I am smoking, drop it, and damage it. It is truly a piece of art. Staggeringly beautiful pipe. And huge!
von-erck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.