PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Just saw this post on Brothers of the Briar. Thought it would be good to share with you. Below is my post and I suggest you view the link below:
"I performed police work for 15 years. Good video/good cop. Always tell a police officer if you are armed with a weapon and always cooperate courteously. Keep your hands in view away from your weapon and always light up the interior of a dark vehicle. Any police officer is on heightened alert when weapons legal or not are involved. My suggestion is to always properly identify yourself. Show your license, show your insurance ID, show your pistol permit. Be courteous and cooperative and thank the officer for doing the same. By doing his job protecting the public the officer is protecting you. Always remember, until the officer checks you out, he is placing himself in danger to protect (you) the public. An aggressive cop is a dedicated hard working professional. Always my pleasure to meet one."
http://www.wimp.com/goodcop/

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have concealed carried for years...

Every time I've been stopped I have followed your procedures with one addition.

I always take my keys out of the ignition and place them on the roof of the vehicle.
Sometimes its a thankless job, but with a little cooperation and courtesy you can make a tough day much better for them... And, always thank them for the job they do for us all.
Thanks for the link.

:clap:

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I enjoyed the video. Well, I enjoyed watching how well the officer handled himself, because I doubt I'd have that level of restraint against someone packing heat and refusing to identify himself. I guess that's why I'm not a police officer. I'm a big fan of our rights, but I have a tendency toward preaching my personal gospel that we should also bear in mind the responsibilities that are required in order to have the rights we are afforded. People (like the cameraman) seem to be all caught up in their right to do this or that, but forget that those rights are worthless if you're a) not going to use them wisely and responsibly and b) going to infringe on the rights of others.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I carry every single minute in every single place it is legal to do so. (Here in FL that means I'm not carrying in court, when teaching at the law school, or at a paid sporting event. I pretty much never run into any of the other rare restrictions.)
It's seldom enough that I've ever been pulled over, but in 25 years it's happened half a dozen times or so. The drill: Windows down, lights on engine off, keys on the dash, hands on the wheel with DL, POI and CWL in hand -- CWL on the top of the stack.
"Good evening officer. I am legally carrying a concealed firearm. Tell me how you want me to proceed."
With one exception (A young woman who seemed ill-suited to the job for several reasons) the interaction has always been zero drama. One young fellow, having taken my credentials and heard my litany, said: "Well sir, are you planning to shoot me?" I said: "Though never crossed my mind." He said: "Alrighty, I'll be right back."
One older lawman asked me why I had a gun. I politely said it was for the same reason he had one, and that while I excepted I'd never need it, I didn't also have a radio to call for back-up.
A Georgia trooper asked me what I was carrying. I thought he'd asked where and I told him that. He said, no, not where, what. I told him and he allowed as how that was a fine pistol. (I love Georgia.)
Interesting sidelight: With the exception of the young woman mentioned above, none of these stops resulted in a violation. In that single case, by the time the ticket came to a hearing, she had left the department in question, and so was not present.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Very professional cop.That would be a great video to show a lot of young cops as they pass through the acadamies.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I understand what you're saying, but I prefer not to meet any aggressive cops when I'm out on the road.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
puffintuff: I hear ya bud. Drive the speed limit, signal your lane changes, exercise courtesy to other vehicles on the road and hopefully you will only meet an aggressive cop at the rest area coffee bar. On the other hand if you ever have a problem on the road and need assistance I assure you that the aggressive cop that appears faster than you can say "oh my god" will be your best friend. No profession is staffed with 100% perfect people, but on the other hand I believe that we in this nation are blessed by those who have chosen a career in law enforcement. They ensure the freedoms at home, indoors and out of doors, that some of us may take for granted. You never know, you might just catch one filling out his memo book while clenching his pipe. Have a great day and a safe summer on the roads. If you ever need help out there call a buddy. The fastest response comes from dialing him up on 911.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
What about all the ones like these where they wreck up their cars racing to lunch, tazer bed ridden old ladies, let teen girls who are caught with drugs or alcohol go for sexual favores,and shoot half naked deaf men in their own apartments after knocking down his door because, he didn't hear them knocking on his door, plus they had the wrong address. Or the ones who let the doped up jerk that stole my truck walk away. After I found my truck (because they were of no use), I had to call 911 (tell them I was in danger) to get them to come out to wear I found my truck (they refused to come out and help me recover my truck other wise). I had one in a town where I lived who would pull over my wife (several times) just to try to chat her up. When she told me I put a stop to it. Sorry but there are very few good cops, and the overly aggresive ones are even worse. I can't think of even one good experiance that I have had with a cop, and I am no criminal just the average joe, I even have a clean driving record.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
locopony not a good experience for you bud, but that vid clip does show and demonstrate that there are good cops out there as no doubt you can see. If i were that guy in the vid clip i would have answered all questions without a second thought as i think it could show you have something to hide or he could interpret you as being awkward and may take the situation in a different direction. But i understand how you feel. Mjtannen it was good to see a professional at work in an orderly manner without stressing out as so often happens.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
This thread is interesting in that it reflects the valid opinions of fellow pipe smokers and it shows the opinions and experiences of us across America both rural as well as urban and sub-urban. My work and my experiences combine those of all in New York State. I've done voluntary work with the NYPD (New York City PD), the Suffolk County PD (Long Island sub-urban department) and I have benefited from the services of New York State Troopers at my upstate NY rural vacation residence. My experiences have all been very professional intelligent and helpful service whenever needed. I am comforted by the security I feel knowing that if I or my family ever has a problem, help comes fast. I guess professionalism counts and I have been fortunate to know and to work with professional men and women whom I would count as best friends, best neighbors and people to count upon when the chips fall down. I certainly wish all brothers were as fortunate as I have been. That is why I chose to share the video of one good cop. He represents the experiences and the colleagues I have been so very fortunate to encounter.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
seems you've been a busy man mj working all them locations. But don't you think that sometimes the police respond to a fellow colleague quicker than a general member of the public. Just a thought, no offence meant.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
The officer on the highway does not know that I worked the highway until he stopped to assist me with a disabled vehicle in the middle of a bridge and I told him. The guys that responded to my overturned '95 Ford Bronco on the Long Island Expressway did not show up in 30 seconds flat because I was a colleague and the responding helicopter medivac unit that I thankfully did not need came anyway. The 911 dispatcher that I called in the middle of the night did not know that I worked in the department and I never worked with any State Troopers. Further, I stopped working as a cop in 2000. Most of my buddies have since retired and new men and women do not know me. So the bottom line for me is a professional LEO is a pro and always there for me and for you. I could not imagine what life would be like without any always on-duty first line responders.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had a local officer pull me over on my bike recently and treated me very well, considering he could have taken me to jail at the speed I was going. I just said yes sir, no sir, told the truth and then happily paid my ticket after he let me go.
I have met a few stand-out good cops and then I've met a couple whose mental state was actually frightening to behold. You just never know, but honesty and decorum will go a long way, even with the mentally unstable ones. If you ru afoul of a total maniac, all you can do is roll with it and then pursue legal recourse later.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I, personally, have only had one bad experience with a police officer. He was driving five miles under the speed limit; I was driving the speed limit. I passed him on his righthand side. He pulled me over and was aggressive and insulting. I wasn't offended, just unimpressed. I went along with the "Yes, sir."/"No, sir." routine and went on my way. I have friends and family who are peace officers and they even admit that there are way too many wannabe cowboys with badges out there, especially where I live. It seems like there's a disproportionate number of kids who just want to put on the uniform, badge, and gun, so they can have some kind of power for the first time in their lives. If they remain in the business long enough, they eventually see the light, but most don't. Then again, it is a small town and I suppose that sort of thing is a normal part of the culture of a small town. However, I have a mantra about such things that I repeat to myself a lot: "It can't be like this everywhere." I hope not. I try to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.