One for the Brits: Can You Do All These Accents?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Brits can give you a read-out on exactly where one of their fellow Brits is from just from speech, and

certainly identify which of the roughly forty class levels within the English social structure they fall. I found

the British pretty folksy on their home ground, but my late wife and I ran into one resort for the upwardly

mobile where the senior staff had a real problem with our not being able to "dress" for supper. We were

at one B&B -- which was frequented by comfortably upper crust -- where one fellow guest "complimented"

us by saying to a friend behind her hand, "They certainly don't seem like Americans." I'm afraid because we

weren't overweight and weren't asking intrusive questions. I have trouble with the BBC radio news. They

seem to recruit for either really awkward, hard to listen to British accents, or melodic singing accents that

sound like parody. Then all their interviews are with people with profound Mideastern accents that are

bewildering. Oh well, Walter Cronkite is gone, and may he rest in peace.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Well... Unfortunately, we Brits can't see the video!

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. You can find out more about BBC Worldwide and its digital activities at www.bbcworldwide.com."
Good old BBC...
That said - I'm downright useless at accents. I have quite enough trouble speaking as it is, without troubling to put on a silly voice as well!

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm pretty good at northern accents. I was born in Lancashire with a parent from Yorkshire, studied for three years in Liverpool and then a further three years in Manchester, hence I can do all the accents pretty much down to a T. Oddly my accent alters depending upon whom I'm with.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try this one on for size - I thought it highly amusing and I am off to have a pink gin and feed the squirrels!
http://youtu.be/O9IJnmbneLc

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Say, Condorlover, about how long would you say you've been drinking gin and feeding squirrels? 40,45 years?

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Can anyone translate written lancashire?
Awr agate aloon in badger shops and awr reet clammd as it wer baggin-time so I put wood in hole and legged it hooam for me jack-bit. Awr jus ating wen codger from shop coes and bagged me for nowt! Missus wer no happy. Ats weer aw'm in pub, I's allocking, havin scoop, monnud git fuddled afoore agait hooam!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
drennan, I have no idea what's being said, but I smiled trying to sound it out. I got Missus wer no happy.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
While playing an online gaming venture a few years back I had a friend in England met through the game and talking on teamspeak. I told him once he sounded like the Beatles(T was silent) Well as time went by and were were chatting one day I heard his kids in the background. I said "sounds like you have some lil' bea'les there with you John . He said no Hawke they are more like lil cockroaches.
smiley-laughing025.gif

black guy

I always loved the British accent, but only knew of two or three styles. There's a black guy here in Georgia I work with who was born in England. He looks like all our black's here in the south but when he speaks he doesnt sound like the rest. Always a surprise for people when they first meet him. He is a awesome welder btw.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is another one on English accents and no before you ask it is not me and Andre at the Yacht Club!
http://youtu.be/NNDPzpreaow

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My son is born and raised in Chicagoland, but watches lots of BBC and reads lots of British literature. People often ask him where he is from, since he has such a different accent. Normally he is within 10 miles of where he was born and raised when people ask this.
Winton

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Can anyone translate written lancashire?
Awr agate aloon in badger shops and awr reet clammd as it wer baggin-time so I put wood in hole and legged it hooam for me jack-bit. Awr jus ating wen codger from shop coes and bagged me for nowt! Missus wer no happy. Ats weer aw'm in pub, I's allocking, havin scoop, monnud git fuddled afoore agait hooam!!
The gentleman in question was ready for his dinner, so he closed the door (and presumably the shop) and went home for his dinner. He received his dinner (most likely gammon and chips or pie and gravy) when his boss appears in a rather distressed state and discharges the gentleman from further duties (presumably on account of closing the shop and going home for his dinner). The gentlemans wife was therefore in an uproar (since her husband is unemployed and prospectless after the outsourcing of the cotton industry to India in the 1970s) at being unable to afford her creature comforts (like beehive hairdos and half a lager in the crown on fridays), so the gentleman takes it upon himself to venture down the boozer and have a few jars to cool his ardour. He vows not to return until he has imbibed a sufficient amount to render him somewhat squiffy (or, him'll be home when't proper lathered laik)

Status
Not open for further replies.