PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I only use dry pipe cleaners, and rarely during smoking. Usually only when there is an obstruction. I use them liberally to clean after a smoke after running cold water through the stem, paper towel to remove a layer of tars etc. Then, a warm water rinse of the bowl followed by cleaners followed by reassembly and then a nice whiskey or rum into the bowl drained through the stem. Another cleaner to dry out any liquid left and a day, two or three to dry on the rack. Gives a nice, sweet and clean smoke.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I dip them in high octane booze for deep / thorough cleaning. Use bristle cleaners first them the non bristle ones.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Easy: you flow hot tap water into the chamber and out the stem. It flushes out ash, tars, and gunk in general. Leaves the pipe sweet as Summer's Eve.

I do it after every few smokes.
Thanks!
Although humidity differs from location to location, in general, how long do you let the pipe dry out before using it?
It’s fairly dry in Idaho.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It comes down to how clean do you want your pipes to be.

Dry cotton pipe cleaners will get out moisture and to a limited degree, tars and sediment. They're good for keeping the airway open, but not clean to the wood.
Dry bristle pipe cleaners do a better job pf cleaning the shank airway, as well as the chamber walls, though wadded paper toweling does a better job.
Wet bristle pipe cleaners and shank brushes get out the stuff that the first two methods fail at.
I'll use alcohol for deep cleaning, especially any new-to-me estate. And for maintenance I use a water flush, which keeps the pipe fresh and avoids the need to use alcohol except for Vulcanite stems.

Simple maxim: Use what works.

More complex version: Open your mind to new and different techniques, evaluate them through experience, and put what works best to use.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks!
Although humidity differs from location to location, in general, how long do you let the pipe dry out before using it?
I sometimes smoke it right away, but usually rack it as part of my general rotation. So, whatever your normal resting time is.

Neither the briar nor the stem material absorb moisture to any real degree. Towelling the chamber and pipe cleaner through the airway speed up the process to remove surface moisture.

More moisture is absorbed through smoking a bowl, as the exposure is much longer at far hotter temperature.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It varies from pipe to pipe. I disassemble my pipes for cleaning when I'm done using them for the day, Most of the time, after I've done a thorough clean with either water or alcohol, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the moisture in the mortise to evaporate enough so that the fit is back to normal. With some pipes it's back to normal almost instantly and with others it can be a matter of an hour or two. Briar varies in how much it swells when in contact with moisture, and how long it take for the swelling to go away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, I can't take it any more. Your water system is gaining ground. I am going to try it and if it messes with the cake in any of my pipes, I will have to fly to Burbank and give you a beating. You will have to help me out of my wheel chair to help me. hehehe
Harris,
If your cake is of the soft flaky variety, the warm water flush will likely remove it when you wipe the chamber walls with paper toweling, but it won’t affect the hard carbon cake.
Bring it on! Dueling pipes at 20 paces!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I sometimes smoke it right away, but usually rack it as part of my general rotation. So, whatever your normal resting time is.

Neither the briar nor the stem material absorb moisture to any real degree. Towelling the chamber and pipe cleaner through the airway speed up the process to remove surface moisture.

More moisture is absorbed through smoking a bowl, as the exposure is much longer at far hotter temperature.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I’ll do a test run on a few pipes tomorrow that are ready for a more thorough cleaning.
Also, does this apply to solid meerschaum pipes as well?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It does for me, but there's more squeamishness re water on meers than there used to be re briars.

One nifty side note: hot water in the chamber of a Meer will give a preview how it's coloring! The same will disappear as the pipe dries, fairly rapidly.

Reactions: Fralphog