PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
But smoking slowly is so hard 😭

I have been working on this and this thread helped me continue to consider slowing down - thank you! I’m relatively new to pipes, so it’s hard to tame my enthusiasm and proclivity to turn my pipe in to a red-hot kiln, but I’m getting there with practice! And enjoying the flavors and lack of stinging tongue as a reward.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
By no means an expert, but I find that certain tobaccos lend themselves more easily to slow smoking. Folded or lightly rubbed-out flakes and broken flakes seem to work better for me than ribbons or fully rubbed-out flakes. I think it's because there's more air around the strands to keep the tobacco smoldering without having to puff and because there's less resistance to fight against. Packing ribbons more loosely accomplishes the same thing but I'm always tempted to stuff in a bit more to "fill" the bowl.

• Love
Reactions: gord and jpmcwjr

gord

Can't Leave
By no means an expert, but I find that certain tobaccos lend themselves more easily to slow smoking. Folded or lightly rubbed-out flakes and broken flakes seem to work better for me than ribbons or fully rubbed-out flakes. I think it's because there's more air around the strands to keep the tobacco smoldering without having to puff and because there's less resistance to fight against. Packing ribbons more loosely accomplishes the same thing but I'm always tempted to stuff in a bit more to "fill" the bowl.
Yes, I've found similar results. And as cosmicfolklore said in my now (to me) infamous post on gurgling, so does learning how to smoke and drying your tobacco more. I don't go bone dry, but go at least two stages farther than I used to. Going to cover this in an upcoming post.