Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my understanding of the aging process of tobacco, we want jars to prevent drying, because moisture encourages microbial action on the sugars. And, we want oxygen, because the microbes need it to survive and do their magic. And, the bi-product of this microbial action in ammonia as well as other nastys. And, also 5 years is the sweet spot for the number of years a tobacco, possibly because of the oxygen.
All of that as a given, wouldn't it make sense to briefly open sealed jars after 2-5 years to allow more oxygen and possibly release the ammonia and other bi-products of the aging process? And, then the jars could be resealed for further aging. Of course, this question probably requires the expertise of someone familiar with the biochemistry of the fermentation process. But, it was something that has crossed my mind, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
Plus, the idea of dipping into older stock to sample it is extremely tempting :lol:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My understanding on aging is that as soon as you introduce frest air to an aging tobacco, the process stops. If you were to then re-seal the jar, the aging process would restart, not pick up where you left off.

You will get a different answer from everyone who answers this question. The only true way to figure this out is to experiment. But if aging is important, much wiser people than me say just leave it alone until you are ready to smoke it!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This question is an interesting one. People believe that once you open a jar then aging stops and when you re seal it the aging begins again. My question has always been, if you wait 5 years to open a jar, take some out and the re seal it for another 5 years, do you have 10 year old tobacco, or 5 year old re aged tobacco? If you take a similar jar and keep it sealed for the ten years, will it taste significantly different than the one you cracked at the 5 year mark?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have not, as yet, aged bulks. If I was doing so, I would age them in wide-mouth .5 pint jars, which hold about 2 ounces of tobacco. When I was ready to smoke a blend, I would get out a jar and smoke the whole thing. I wouldn't even attempt to deal with the whole resealing thing.

Yes, I have read through Pease's writings. This is where I get the essence of my question. Further puffing on the idea... If at five years the microbes have slowed, and the sugars are starting to caramelize, then it would seem that rejuvenating the microbes would "change" the aging process. Most of our tobaccos have already been aged to a degree, to enough of a degree that the manufacturer assumes it perfect for smoking. I guess the summation is that aging it for five more years makes full use of a microbial change, and ten years further breaks down the sugars for another flavor change. Then, on the batch that would have been opened at five years and then re-aged for another five years would just create another flavor profile ...possibly spoiling it, a possibility anyway.
I have yet to have anything in my own cellar for more than three months, so no fears of me wrecking a batch of my own. However, I have traded for an eleven year old tin of Dark Star, that I'm not sure if I can wait to break into. I was just curious as to whether opening it and then re-canning it would be worth the effort. I guess the main fear would be that re-caning a batch could lead to a vinegar-like effect on the sugars. Like a spoiled batch of whisky or wine. I am anxious to see what it is like. But, I hate to destroy something that could be even better in another five years.
It's probably best to just smoke the whole thing. :::Sigh::: :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my experience of aging cigars, the longer they age generally the better they get. Now with cigars, you are constantly changing the environment when you open and close your humidor, but the cigars still age. So why then would pipe tobacco be that much different?
I have no doubt in my mind that if I were to open a jar at 5 years, take some out and let it sit another 5 years, the tobacco is still going to taste great after 5 more years. There is no way the tobacco is going to go through a vinegar like effect. It is just going to age differently than if it had not been opened. Pipe tobacco does not go bad as long as the proper humidity and proper temperatures are maintained. It may be that opening it and changing the air might give it a flavor you like better than if you leave it jarred the whole ten years. The only way to know that one is to experiment.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth is right about Virginia's( which happens to be the only things I age)and that Dark Star will be freaking great right now. In my experience, every Va or Vaper or Vabur I have smoked over the ten year mark has been awesome. Not once have I said to myself, damn I should have waited another 5 years.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I think that someone needs to do the 5 year age, reseal for another 5 experiment. It could be that is the proper way to age bulk pipe tobacco and we are all missing the boat. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.