PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
If one is cellaring in glass jars does extreme temperature hurt or help the aging process? What are your thoughts, experiences and wisdom? Is it bad to cellar outside in say a shed or should it be in temperature controlled environment? Could summer heat help age quicker ? Would freezing kill favor? ??

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can only relay my experience and I have always kept my tobacco in a cool dark place where the temp did not vary more than 2 degrees. I have always had a whole house dehumidifier. I have never had a seal fail and I have never had even a whiff of mold.

When I see these threads where people are getting mold I wonder how they keep their tobacco. In your case you might as well throw away the money you were going to spend on tobacco. No way would I ever keep my stash outside unless the place was climate controlled.

When I had to ship my humidor to Florid a I hired a refer truck so the temp would stay constant.

C&D Fanatic

Lurker
Oct 9, 2021
Canada
Doesn't have to too temperature controlled (why I switched from cigars). But there has to be some level of consistency to storage. I can't think of any place where outdoor weather would be stable enough to store it outside. Dark closet not near an outside wall with poor insulation is the best location imo

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Cooler dark place here yet it ranges from 55-60 F. Also never had mold or a failed jar seal. A few c&d fails but that’s a different story I’d say. I have stored many sealed mylar bags in my car during the summer with temps up to maybe 125f and again no mold but some fun semi-stoving.