PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
That's a higher end Yello Bole if I recall correctly. I also have an unsmoked Yello Bole that I have chosen not to smoke for now. Mostly because it is rather small and not along the lines of my regular rotation. If your pipe is a size and shape you enjoy, I say go for it. Yello Bole is not going to command premium prices if unsmoked. Up to you. If I had it, I would smoke it as that is a size and shape I regularly enjoy.

Reactions: chopper

radasky84

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
That's a higher end Yello Bole if I recall correctly. I also have an unsmoked Yello Bole that I have chosen not to smoke for now. Mostly because it is rather small and not along the lines of my regular rotation. If your pipe is a size and shape you enjoy, I say go for it. Yello Bole is not going to command premium prices if unsmoked. Up to you. If I had it, I would smoke it as that is a size and shape I regularly enjoy.
Thank you! If it was your how would you go about cleaning it before smoking it?

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
It really looks rather clean as is. I would take the stem out and clean it up, might need as little as a moist paper towel. I would also polish up the the silver ring. I would again try a moist paper towel with expectation that something else may be needed. Many have good luck using toothpaste as an abrasive. Metal polish would also work. Is this similar to a Peterson system pipe? Google that and compare the drilling where the stem meets the stummel. That will give you an idea on cleaning after smoking. Looks like a great pipe!

radasky84

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
It really looks rather clean as is. I would take the stem out and clean it up, might need as little as a moist paper towel. I would also polish up the the silver ring. I would again try a moist paper towel with expectation that something else may be needed. Many have good luck using toothpaste as an abrasive. Metal polish would also work. Is this similar to a Peterson system pipe? Google that and compare the drilling where the stem meets the stummel. That will give you an idea on cleaning after smoking. Looks like a great pipe!
Great! Thank you so much!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Great! Thank you so much!

Adding to this, I take a pipe cleaner & moisten with water, then apply baking powder or toothpaste to the pipe cleaner, then polish the draft hole inside the stem. It helps to remove oxidation that can taint the taste. Run the pipe cleaners back & forth, in a polishing action until the pipe cleaners are no longer brown. This usually takes 3-4 pipe cleaners. Rinse with tap water.

Reactions: RedZeppelin

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
For what it is worth, I have 4 Yello-Boles all 1933-1949 years and I enjoy how they all smoke. I buy my estate pipes to smoke them first and collect them second. Be a shame to not enjoy them. It's almost depressing to know that a pipe built long ago to deliver a certain pleasure has been deprived of doing it. Like a beautiful car that is never driven.

Reactions: chopper

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
My put would be unless it has some important sentimental value from whom it was gifted, smoke the :poop: out of it!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Once I've cleaned a pipe, I polish the stem with a drop of mineral oil.
To polish and protect the briar, I made a polish of carnauba wax with a touch of mineral oil mixed under gentle heat. [Mixing in a little mineral oil makes the wax easier to apply]