PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
Gents I have some opened, and unopened tins of pipe tobacco. Unfortunately it's spent 3 to 4 years in the back of an suv, summer temps in excess of probably 130, winters below freezing. Is it safe to smoke? Is so, is it going to be bad tasting? One can of was stolen like botulism.

Reactions: Servant King

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Gents I have some opened, and unopened tins of pipe tobacco. Unfortunately it's spent 3 to 4 years in the back of an suv, summer temps in excess of probably 130, winters below freezing. Is it safe to smoke? Is so, is it going to be bad tasting? One can of was stolen like botulism.
Afaik, botulism doesn't cause swelling.
You don't have to worry about the tobacco unless if it's moldy, in which case you could theoretically still smoke it. Don't chew it though. Aflatoxins are destroyed by burning.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Afaik, botulism doesn't cause swelling.
You don't have to worry about the tobacco unless if it's moldy, in which case you could theoretically still smoke it. Don't chew it though. Aflatoxins are destroyed by burning.
I double checked. Botulism does cause swelling. Sorry. My bad. But tobacco is probably too dry and acidic to produce it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Aged and heat treated tobacco? Should be just fine.

P.S. Do not smoke mouldy tobacco. :eek:

Reactions: 5star

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I'd look it over, and if it isn't moldy or otherwise mysteriously discolored, give it a try. I suspect the "stoving" in the SUV will have changed the flavors somewhat, but not necessarily in a bad way.