PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tinkering

Lurker
Oct 5, 2024
I have an old pipe (1900?) stem that needs a mouthpiece. It's a threaded mouthpiece. I think it came from northern Europe but there are no markings on it at all. Does anybody know where to purchase a threaded mouthpiece?

Attachments

• 20240924_125401~2.jpg
    20240924_125401~2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240924_124816~2.jpg
    20240924_124816~2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 7

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That will have to be fabricated by an expert restorer. The thread pitch can vary from pipe to pipe. There's no standard thread type. You won't find it as a stock item. I recommend George Dibos, georged on this forum. He's your best option for a repair of this type..

Reactions: tinkering

tinkering

Lurker
Oct 5, 2024
That will have to be fabricated by an expert restorer. The thread pitch can vary from pipe to pipe. There's no standard thread type. You won't find it as a stock item. I recommend George Dibos, georged on this forum. He's your best option for a repair of this type..
Thanks. That is excellent information. I will try to contact George. I would like to do the work myself.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks. That is excellent information. I will contact George.

No need. :)

The type of thing you have there isn't what I work on at all. Old design antiques are a specialty of their own for a number of reasons, none of which I mess with. Proprietary threads being one of the main ones.

The only guy in the US who "goes there" that I know of is Fletch Hiner a.k.a. Rusty Pyles on this board, but he's stepped away from working on pipes for a while to catch up on some day job obligations.

tinkering

Lurker
Oct 5, 2024
That is great information.
I would like to try this project myself. If I could find a standard thread size and diameter that would be real close to this proprietary thread I could start with a tenon style stem (amazon?). Cut the tenon off, then drill and tap.

If all else fails I could remove the existing threaded section, and then alter it to accept a tenon style stem.
Does any of this sound feasible?
Thanks very much for getting back.