PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok Peterson fans, time to get pissed at my click bait title. Although it is true, there is some history behind this pipe, but I'm not sure what it is. I can't seem to resist buying these type of pipes, so bear with me. This Pete seems to be a rather old pipe from the Dublin&London series. It's not a pre Republic pipe, but still looks to have some age on it. I'm not sure what the deal is with this series, although they seem to be in current production, but look nothing like this one. Now, about the condition... I'm not sure what happened to this pipe, maybe it was being smoked by Dick Cheney's friend while they were quail hunting, or a puppy got ahold of it, but I'm pretty sure it's not a factory finish. It was so cheap and has lots of character, plus I'm sure there's an interesting history here. I did a thorough clean up and sanitized it, and then just polished and waxed it. So here it is, warts and all.

DSCF9108.jpegDSCF9110.jpegDSCF9114.jpegDSCF9116.jpegDSCF9130.jpegDSCF9131.jpegDSCF9133.jpegDSCF9136.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Looks like the fills shrank and fell out over time.
I'm surprised they chose not to rusticate or blast this one.
I like that you left the pockmarks - looks a lot like a teenage, pimply me ?

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
from reborn Pipes

I turned to “The Peterson Pipe” by Mark Irwin and Gary Malmberg to get some background on the Peterson’s Dublin & London Pipe. On page 298 it had the following information.

Dublin & London (c1940-97, 2016-) First mentioned in a 1940 brochure, but probably not widely distributed until ’45, Dublin & London was the highest quality line (aside from the Supreme, introduced in ’53) until about ’86. P-lip or fishtail mouthpiece, polished finish, although sandblast described in ’70 Iwan Ries & Co. catalog. COMs include MADE IN over IRELAND (1940-80) and MADE IN THE over REPUBLIC over OF IRELAND (c1980-97).

Reactions: agnosticpipe

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
from reborn Pipes

I turned to “The Peterson Pipe” by Mark Irwin and Gary Malmberg to get some background on the Peterson’s Dublin & London Pipe. On page 298 it had the following information.

Dublin & London (c1940-97, 2016-) First mentioned in a 1940 brochure, but probably not widely distributed until ’45, Dublin & London was the highest quality line (aside from the Supreme, introduced in ’53) until about ’86. P-lip or fishtail mouthpiece, polished finish, although sandblast described in ’70 Iwan Ries & Co. catalog. COMs include MADE IN over IRELAND (1940-80) and MADE IN THE over REPUBLIC over OF IRELAND (c1980-97).
Thanks for the info on this series of pipes. I thought I read somewhere that these were of better quality, but it's hard to tell on this one! I didn't see any fills in it, and I don't think that even though Peterson has made some blunders on a few of their pipes, they would take a smooth pipe and put that many fills in it. I mean, come on, that's crazy! So either birdshot or puppy teeth are my guess for the little holes. Whatever the case, I don't regret spending $18 on it, the bowl walls are rather thick and it smoked just fine. So I guess that the rustication makes this factory pipe one of kind. hahau

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: paulfg and timelord