PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
If you don't have much tech savvy you don't have to help anyone else out with a computer problem. Believe me, you are MUCH better off!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Commodore 64 came in a relatively close cousin of the venerable Compaq or Kaypro. It had a COLOR 5" screen a built in keyboard (which, by the way, had a lovely touch) and a single disk drive. Back in the day, as some of us old fogies recall, these non-hard drive computers came with a 5" floppy drive and if you wanted to really pep it up, you could "daily chain" a second drive to the first drive. The program ran on the first drive and that data ran on the second. This portable Commodore could only do a single drive so did not sell very well. And it weighed about 25 pounds. Portable my ass!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My first research computer in 1985 was the brand new IBM-XT with a CGA color screen (the first color monitor in the Department of Pediatrics at the Medical College of Georgia), a whopping 640 kilobytes of memory, a HUGE 10 megabyte hard drive and ran at a blistering 477 kilohertz! (That's with a "k" not a "g"). Who could possibly fill up a 10 megabyte hard drive?!? By 1997 my PalmPilot could match the specs of that computer; by now a burner cell phone runs rings around it...

Mar 30, 2014
wv
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php?component=indexpage
testing?
Hey, a link... I think I'm getting the hang of this computer thing.
Drives away slowly with left blinker continuously on.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
instymp said:

+1 danielplainview, & young people are coming back to paper also.
False (except for hipsters). Unless there's some massive technological setback, our path is inevitably toward greater human/machine convergence. Think about where we were 100 years ago. Then 50 years ago. 25 years ago. Even 10 years ago. The patterns are obvious.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Here's one from memory lane. Couldn't type by feel.
TimexSinclair_zps4a301307.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.