PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
In the 1970's I smoked a blend called "Highland" from Lane Ltd. I used to buy it at their store on 42nd St in New York. I'd describe it as an English aromatic. Does anyone remember it? If so, any recommendations for a blend that approximates it?

Thanks in advance.
John Fruhmann

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I would try and give the guy at Village tobacco a call in Whitehall talked with him yesterday and seemed to know his stuff (but I know nothing so anything is something).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Duncan,

Thanks. Ron Kern at Tobacco Village is a very good friend of mine. I had him look at the remains of my dearly departed blend and he's "analyzing " it. He's had a few ideas so I'm hopeful. He actually called Altadis to inquire about it but all of the old timers are gone and they have no record of it which I thought was strange. The blend I smoked was a cube cut. Packed well and lighting it was a breeze. I have to wnder about how many other recipes have been lost to time.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
papipeguy said I have to wonder about how many other recipes have been lost to time.
I think too many already! I see old tobacco tins (empty of course) at antique shops of blends I've never heard of and wonder if they were any good.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Papipe,

When you figure out what it is, or Ron makes the blend let me know I won't mind buying a few oz's. For all this you are going through I figure it to be a pretty decent blend. I am always in the market to try something new since I am still new in this world of tobacco.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Duncan,

Will do. A couple of his bulk blends are close ( Sherwood Forest and TV Connoisseur)and I like them both although they are not cube cut. I may be wrong but I associate that cut with Burley. The blend definitely has latikia in it and I'm guessing Virginia and possibly cavendish as well. There is a light topping and I always got compliments on it, even from women.
I'll be at TV today ( I'm there almost every day). I'll keep you posted.
John

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
John,
Thanks, I am always intrested in finding the holy grail in tobacco. Wish I could get there everyday but the family would get a bit upset with not seeing me after a while.
Wade

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Duncan,

Just do what I do. Tell the family that you're doing volunteer work helping the less fortunate. My wife is in to me now but knows that I'm in a safe place and that most of the regulars could need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.