PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I have a double walled Lepeltier clay pipe which I love, one of the favorites along with the meers.
I am curious now about the Old German Clay Pipes particularly the ones offered with an ebonite stem. I do understand that being single walled the bowl becomes very hot. My question is how they smoke compared to the double walled clays as the Lepeltier or the Zenith. In addition is the draft size of the stem big enough to make a cleaner pass through easily as stem looks pretty small.

Pipeh

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I can't compare to these double walled pipes you are talking about, since I don't know anything about those, but I did get an old german clay pipe with an acrylic stem. The way that the stem connects to the pipe was surprising to me - the clay stummel and the plastic stem are coupled together by way of a tube made from very thin sheet metal. I was surprised because it seemed like such a simple hack of a solution, but it works. I couldn't get mad about it because the price was low from my perspective. The bit was much smaller than I imagined. Like, maybe 8mm wide?

The draft hole is very small. I embarrassingly haven't actually attempted to run a pipe cleaner through it, but from my recollection, it could be difficult.

Overall, it smokes fine. I haven't used it for about a year now, I've mostly been using a cob and three briars lately.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon