Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I have the same problems with my resource lighter. Too hit or miss
I just like my Zippo, especially since it was given to me and it has the Army crest on it

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
This old fogey likes wooden kitchen matches first, followed by my father's Zippo, the one he carried in WWII. The matches 'cuz they do the best job of lighting my pipes, and the other, well, just 'cause.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I was sold a nice Vertigo Governor butane lighter with tamper. Worked well until I dropped it - now it wont light at all. Tried the Zippo with pipe insert and I'm hooked. Aside from having to constantly refill the fluid, the lighter is dependable and, well, lighter and easier to carry around. And the Zippo is just cool and collectible.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Don't care what I use to light my pipes. Just want the baccy burning so I can enjoy it! Sometimes I use my Old Boy, occasionally my Zippo, other times I use a match or a disposable lighter. It just all depends on what I'm in the mood for or what's more convenient at the time.
-Frank

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Been through a lot of lighters. The Zippo and the Old Boy have been the most reliable to date. Problem with Zippo is that I cannot stand the taste of lighter fluid, so it is the Old Boy that sees the most action.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I got a Xikar as payment for some work if did. It literally fell apart in my pocket after a month. Sent it back (with the parts) for a replacement but it doesn't perform nearly as well as my Old Boy.

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Just to be as simple as possible. I think we like old lighter and everything like that because it kind of remind us something. I like to buy really old upland hunting books, get a drink a read while I imagine myself being In those books where everyday life is pretty much less stressful. For my parts, I'm more onto Zippos cause everytime I hear one open it gives me shivers, I don't know why but I'm addicted to Zippos, I have to refuel them yes, Change the flint and change the wick but I still love them. From time to time I'm looking at old boy lighter and also old nimrods. When I'm smoking my pipe It's a kind of tradition. Those old lighters make me think of my grand-father and my father. My grand father smoked pipes all his life. I think somking pipe for a lot of people is a little bit of that and a kind of tradition, having a old pipe or looking old pipe, an old leaky flint lighter , a cup of tea or coffee Just sit back and Relax like Gentleman used to do hundred years ago.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I like old stuff. Efficiency is for work. Fiddle-farting around with finicky stuff is part of how I enjoy my hobbies.
+1

Note the cobbed old Zippo, next to the zippy old cob! Note also, the Zippo has tools attached! :puffy:

cob2-9.JPG

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have three Old Boy styles. They've worked really well for me. Strike consistently, have nice fuel tanks, nice construction, and the flame only dies when the wind picks up. I don't really care for built in tampers because I'd hate to tamp the bowl and then get ash all over the place since the tamping part typically is exposed when put back in its place. I also like the retro look of the Old Boys.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have a Zippo with a pipe insert I use most all the time. My "emergency" kit contains a cob, an ounce of CH, cleaners, tamper and wooden matches. I also have a few boxes of kitchen matches in my cellar if the need should arise. I have a few Bics floating around, but I'm not a fan of using them.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have been told to use wooden matches as much as possibble,because the lighter fluid ruins the taste, andbody know of a pipelighter that doesn't ruin the taste of the tobacco with fluid?

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have been told to use wooden matches as much as possibble,because the lighter fluid ruins the taste, andbody know of a pipelighter that doesn't ruin the taste of the tobacco with fluid?

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"anybody know of a pipelighter that doesn't ruin the taste of the tobacco with fluid?"
None of the butane-fueled lighters should cause either an odour or flavour problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.