PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
From the Milan website: "Old Dominion (Aromatic) Pipe Tobacco - Rough cut maple-flavored Burley."
Sometimes a simple description can hide a gem. Sometimes not so much. I'd probably put this tobacco in the latter category.
The aroma of the leaf is pleasant, but the maple character is maybe a bit underwhelming.
I'd guess that the flavor of this one might not immediately appeal to a lot of pipe smokers. There's a noticeable tongue bite, even after allowing the tobacco to dry out for an hour or so before smoking it. As with the aroma of the leaf, the maple flavor is more subdued than I expected. And the flavor of the burley is more robust than I expected. I'd almost put the flavor of this blend more like a cigar than a typical aromatic pipe tobacco.
I like burleys, and I have two non-aromatic burleys in this Milan order that I'm really eager to try, but my guess is that I'll be using Old Dominion mainly as a blending tobacco.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Update:
When I described the flavor of the burley in this one, I really meant to emphasize the word "robust".
When I get new tobacco orders in, I like to try two new ones per day - partly to keep my tastebuds fresh, and partly just to spread the enjoyment out longer. I was planning on trying another new one this evening, but I still have a lingering taste on my tongue from the Old Dominion I smoked earlier today, so I'm going to hold off trying any more new ones today.

Status
Not open for further replies.