PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm a Lane Ready Rubbed guy. MacBaren Golden Extra is also a winner.

Of the four mentioned in the OP, PA is my fave.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My footnote: I have a hard time tasting anything with Sir Walter Raleigh Regular. Too bad since I live in Raleigh, N.C. However, out of curiosity, and I think with recommendation from jiminks and one or two other Forums members, I tried SWR Aromatic, flavored with three liqueurs, and find it a flavorful blend, really notable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I should add, SWR is burley but SWR Aro is burley with Virginia as a condiment and the liqueurs for flavoring. The Virginia and flavoring transform the blend for me, although I like many burley blends, I just can't taste SWR. Crazy about Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Tabac-Manil Semois, Peretti #52, and on and on.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Amphora Red is just terrible (to me).
I love Amphora Red. Excellent blend. Fresh out of a newly-opened pouch, it is overly-sweet in my opinion. The topping covers up too much of the natural tobacco flavor. Try drying it out until it is almost crispy, but no crumbling. Smoking it that way really brings out the nuttiness of the burleys and the spiciness of the orientals. Balances everything out nicely.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
PA gets a bad rap. I'm in the "can't get enough of it" camp.
To be honest, I disliked Prince Albert when I first tried it. The anise/black licorice flavor was overpowering upon smoking from the newly-opened tub. But as several weeks have passed, the air in the open tub has toned down the topping flavors and they now blend much better with the natural burley tobacco flavor. Drying in the microwave has also helped. I am really loving the smoking characteristics of PA. So smooth and enjoyable, just like Carter Hall. 8)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like Prince Albert. Good stuff, although I'd like less of the topping and a bigger cut (the stuff in the tubs is mostly shreds). It is best from the pouch.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Five Brothers and then CH. Chatham Manor after that and then the others mentioned

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A while back I took some Carter Hall, SWR, Granger and some 1Q and mixed them all together to come up with what I call the Ultimate OTC blend. It's pretty darn good when smoked in a cob. Haven't tried it in a meerschaum or briar pipe yet.
If I remember correctly the components/ratios were:

1oz CH, 3/4 SWR, 3/4oz Granger and 1/2oz 1Q.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
There are other fine blends but Carter Hall and Prince Albert are great, mix in some Perique. It'll make Half and Half good.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
So your thoughts about CH vs Chatham Manor? I have read that some prefer Chatham.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
CH is my base. I do, however mix it up a bit an try other blends but always return to CH. a nice change of pace, mix CH with 25% Walnut for a bit more smokey flavour. 50% CH// 25% PA// 25% Walnut makes an awsome smoke. Trust me, you'll love it. I dare you.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Nice reviews, and cool to see it laid out in such an organized fashion. I agree that Granger needs to be considered, as it is a really nice neutral Burley smoke with a good nic hit(if you like that sort of thing).

I am with you for everything but the Prince Albert, but that is my own personal pathology. I come from a very Dutch family, and they still send me these licorice candies called "Dubbel Zout", which I think are the most vile thing on this earth. The psuedo-ammoniac licorice smell of PA instantly reminds me of these, and is a no go.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Thanks, badbeard. I have not tried Granger yet, so I was unable to include it in the shootout.
As I mentioned in another thread, my tub of Prince Albert has improved a lot since I first opened it over a month ago. Apparently, being exposed to air has really melded the flavors wonderfully with the natural burleys. When I first opened it, the anise/licorice topping was overpowering. I was microwaving it extra long to burn off some of the excess flavoring. I am still microwaving it a bit now, but the flavor is much better than before. You might want to give PA another try. Just let it mellow for a few weeks after first opening a new tub.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I first opened it, the anise/licorice topping was overpowering.
I'll have to try air drying. I find most aromatic toppings too heavy, so I have to mix the blend with some Burley to make it feel right.

Status
Not open for further replies.