PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I sometime encounter the old 'Nicotine Smoothie' effect where the pipe gurgles with moisture build up. I have always assumed it is a by product of not letting the tobacco dry out sufficiently. A pipe cleaner seems to remedy the issue, I have often wondered how people who smoke with filters or traps deal with these issues.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My grandfather (actually, step-grandfather but he was the only grandfather I knew) was an auto transmission mechanic. He always took a small pipe to work with him to smoke on his breaks and would pick up a clean shop rag to wipe the bowl out after smoking it. I remember him usually have one of those rags with him when he smoked after he got home and at the end of the day would just throw it in with his dirty clothes.

Funny memory... I remember occasionally riding a city bus with him and he always sat by a window and smoked his pipe. No one on the bus every complained and plenty of people smoked cigarettes while riding the bus.

Reactions: JOHN72

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Carved smokes cooler than smooth. One of the reasons I like the Sea Rock finish so much is that the carved surface provides more surface area for cooling. Also, when holding it your fingers are not touching entire surface of the bowl, but just the "high points". Therefore, less heat. As a bonus, they cost less than smooths and don't need to be polished all the time. To me, smooth pipes just look worn and older in time, whereas carved pipes just get more character. You don't have to buy a Castello to get the carved finish, other makers offer it. Personally, I think the Jobey Stromboli line has a great finish and for a modest priced pipe they smoke exceptionally well. puffy

4d3b8010d40.jpg

-600x372.jpg

Reactions: bearwolf56