PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I never liked the lack of articulation with pipe insert zippos.
As has been said, Old Boy style lighters are literally useless amid any breeze.

I'll take a Bic any day. The flame is the right size, they are consistent in quality, and with a minimal amount of experience they give the user reasonable articulation.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I never liked the lack of articulation with pipe insert zippos.
As has been said, Old Boy style lighters are literally useless amid any breeze.

I'll take a Bic any day. The flame is the right size, they are consistent in quality, and with a minimal amount of experience they give the user reasonable articulation.
Well put. If it's too windy to light my bic, I can use the Zippo to light it, then I'll be well articulated.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Well put. If it's too windy to light my bic, I can use the Zippo to light it, then I'll be well articulated.

There's two guys in the local club that use their Zippos regularly. They seem to be in an unspoken competition to see whose Zippo produces the largest flame. I'd be scared to use either - trying to hold on to my eyebrows.

I've nonchalantly dropped the hint that both would benefit from trimming their wicks but... no dice just yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lighting a pipe in the wind with matches or lighters is a learned art. I'm not that good at it, but you can use berms, trees, buildings, your hands and your back to the wind, etc., to make lighting up reasonable. If you need a lot of flame, you're probably doing it wrong. My dad used to smoke his pipe sailing a boat, so he had it down pretty well, along with the clove hitch and some fancy rope splicing. He always used matches.

fxdrider

Lurker
Jan 1, 2023
My Corona Old Boy is a great lighter, except in a breeze. Bought a Zippo w/pipe insert last summer just for wind-use. Works great in all but the stiffest of wind. I still love my Corona, just not in the wind.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Used my new Zippo with the pipe insert yesterday for the first time. Love it! You can direct the flame where you want it very easily just by pulling air through the pipe. I don't know why I didn't buy one of these years ago. Just cheap I guess.

Reactions: orvet