PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'm thinking about getting something other than a Bic lighter, but I smoke outside a lot. Bics don't work very well when they get cold — then — a little bit of wind and forget about it. That describes my winter smoking experience on some days. (Hemp wick is helpful because it holds a flame better, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

So, what's the consensus regarding IM Corona Old Boys. Do they work very well when it's a little windy, or is a Zippo pipe lighter preferable?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Old Boy near useless in the wind. Zippo with pipe insert probably the best. When I smoke playing golf, I use cobs with a wind cap. I also use a single flame torch as I don't care if it eventually burns out the cob. I certainly wouldn't purpose that with a decent briar but I have not damaged the cob perceptably to date.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I guess I'm sold on a Zippo. Never owned one with the pipe insert. A torch lighter might be fine if you hold the flame away from the chamber? I can see how you might risk scorching the rim. Smoking in the wind is not ideal, but getting a good even light is the hardest part.
When I use the torch, I try to keep it in the center and a very short burst. I'm surprised how little it has scorched the rim especially since I don't really care. I'll bet I could smoke several hundred bowls in the cob that way before a burn out.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Soft butane lighters (OB, Pipemaster, Rollagas, BIC, etc.) and matches, are all a bit problematic in the wind they can be made to work up to a certain wind velocity. Zippos and cigar (torch) lighters are a better bet in windy conditions, though as observed above cigar lighters require extra care to avoid damaging the pipe.