Okay To Use a Filter Pipe Without a Filter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I really enjoy my 9mm Vauen without a filter or adapter. Each time I smoke it I wonder why I don't just start buying 9mm pipes and always going no filter.

Edit: Adding to the discussion something that might be tillable ground-that the Vauen I only smoke Virginias in.

Reactions: 3rdguy

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
So it is about tongue bite.
I have asked some of the BIGGIE pipe smokers and they all do not know or have never used a filter. The only two times I got tongue bite was from smoking too fast and tobacco was too dry. The vessel almost burst into flame. The benefit of using old estate pipes. Well seasoned and hard as iron.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
I have a Husky Medico pipe that is made for a filter. My father was also of the opinion that filters were not worth using, so grew up with that. However recently tried Brigham's Rock Maple Distillator for the fun of it. What a smooth smoke. I think your safe with or without, but enjoyed this brand.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
My curious nature is bottomless.

And my nature is to be curious about the topless.

I find it interesting that many here find no real difference with or without filter. Considering the changes it makes in the airflow, it is curious that there are few detectable changes.

It makes me further convinced that really small airway differences (like the tenon chamfer that Cosmic started a thread about) would have effects so small as to be all but undetectable.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanpiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I find it interesting that many here find no real difference with or without filter. Considering the changes it makes in the airflow, it is curious that there are few detectable changes.
The difference in airflow can be compensated with the tightness of the pack.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Tongue bite is sometimes a chemical reaction, not thermal. So no matter how slow you smoke, if your mouth doesn't accept certain acids in the smoke (which are usually in Virginia tobaccos), you'd get the TB. Charcoal neutralize some of these elements, so you'd get a softer smoke (depending on the filter).
Or you may build up a tolerance, which shall take time.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm using filters almost every time. Being a "wet smoker" I produce more moisture than any tobacco so filters help a lot but the activated charcoal ones do affect the taste. A no filtered pipe imo has a smoother draw than a filtered one, smoked without a filter.
A thought that often crosses my mind: isn't a filtered pipe without a filter the same as reverse calabash?

Status
Not open for further replies.