PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Dear lord to this day I haven’t experienced any sort of ghosting in my pipes, smoking heavy Latakia or the worst aros out there. Any remaining aroma that lingered was quickly eliminated by the next tobacco or any burley blend.

Until today.

DEER TONGUE, yes. Now I know what you all ghost freaks mean.

Cracked opened my first dear tongue tin, gentleman caller from C&D, nice blend, sweet and strong tin note.

Packed my SAV 106, enjoyed the smoke, deer tongue came through more in the room note than the smoke itself, overall a tasty blend but not an everyday and all day smoke for me.

But damm with only one bowl this thing exorcised the chamber, the stem, my living room, my mustache, ashtray and even my mask while I was at the gym 2 hours later.

Smoked two bowls in the same pipe, thank god I’m not tasting it in the smoke but I can still smell it in the chamber. Good thing it was just one bowl and I’m pretty sure it will eventually disappear.

What the hell is this thing?!

I’m buying a new pipe just for it, scary sh*t! ?

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
How’s Crooner taste out of a cob ? I haven’t gotten around to trying a deer tongue blend yet. I’ll gladly risk a cob, but not a favorite briar.
Thanks,
Mac

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
It's not tobacco, rest assured, but another botanical. Note that deer tongue is a blood thinner, so anyone taking a blood thinner already for health reasons shouldn't smoke it. Bing Crosby was said to be a big fan
Sorry Mr bing. No way this and all day smoke for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's not tobacco, rest assured, but another botanical. Note that deer tongue is a blood thinner, so anyone taking a blood thinner already for health reasons shouldn't smoke it. Bing Crosby was said to be a big fan.
not sure if it would work through smoke. And the quantity is pretty low so unless you're on certain medications it probably would equal zero issue.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
yvabi-jpg.28161873

Mar 1, 2014
Dear lord to this day I haven’t experienced any sort of ghosting in my pipes, smoking heavy Latakia or the worst aros out there. Any remaining aroma that lingered was quickly eliminated by the next tobacco or any burley blend.

Until today.

Cracked opened my first dear tongue tin, gentleman caller from C&D, nice blend, sweet and strong tin note.

Packed my SAV 106, enjoyed the smoke, deer tongue came through more in the room note than the smoke itself, overall a tasty blend but not an everyday and all day smoke for me.

But damm with only one bowl this thing exorcised the chamber, the stem, my living room, my mustache, ashtray and even my mask while I was at the gym 2 hours later.

Smoked two bowls in the same pipe, thank god I’m not tasting it in the smoke but I can still smell it in the chamber. Good thing it was just one bowl and I’m pretty sure it will eventually disappear.

Just throw some Ennerdale in there and you'll never taste or smell the Deertongue again.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Coumadin is a prescription medicine sold as Wafarin, and is a blood thinning agent. It is affected by grapefruit, leafy greens, basil, and green teas so people taking it should be aware. Coumarin is used to make coumadin, but coumarin is not anti-coagulant itself.
This is my understanding of it, as well.

Until today.

Welcome to deertongue blends! ? Yes, they ghost. More than Lakelands I’d say. I have a dedicated deertongue cob, and that’s the only thing I smoke those blends in. Crooner is good if you like sharp stout Burley, and Engine #382 is a softer sweeter blend, kind of like an aromatic where the “flavoring” is deertongue. Goes great with a cup of coffee. I haven’t tried New Market yet. Gentleman Caller is great fresh, with a clover and honeysuckle thing going on, but if you let it sit for a year or two, it tastes just like honey.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
This is my understanding of it, as well.

Welcome to deertongue blends! ? Yes, they ghost. More than Lakelands I’d say. I have a dedicated deertongue cob, and that’s the only thing I smoke those blends in. Crooner is good if you like sharp stout Burley, and Engine #382 is a softer sweeter blend, kind of like an aromatic where the “flavoring” is deertongue. Goes great with a cup of coffee. I haven’t tried New Market yet. Gentleman Caller is great fresh, with a clover and honeysuckle thing going on, but if you let it sit for a year or two, it tastes just like honey.
Crooner is definitely on my radar. I’m a burley freak so.... ?‍♂️?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith