PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
This is a simple A. Curtz briar I bought used off a fiend from here. It went on the AT with me, recently developed a crack on the stem end.

not sure what precipitated this. This pipe has been kicking about my pack for a year, it has been a bit humid.

any thoughts? 7CE7F481-D73A-4A3D-BC03-A236E42CB542.jpeg

TBS

Attachments

• EDC457E8-6EEE-49C9-9798-C7D5B3015ED3.jpeg
    EDC457E8-6EEE-49C9-9798-C7D5B3015ED3.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is a simple A. Curtz briar I bought used off a fiend from here. It went on the AT with me, recently developed a crack on the stem end.

not sure what precipitated this. This pipe has been kicking about my pack for a year, it has been a bit humid.

any thoughts? View attachment 150683

TBS
Send it to Mike Myers. He can band the shank in no time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any competent pipe repair service can band that for you. Probably caused by humidity and the characteristics of that particular piece of briar causing pressure against the tenon. I like Arley's pipes. They smoke well and cost next to nothing. But he didn't use the best briar I've seen and he wasn't a master at joinery

Reactions: Erehwesle

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
it survived the AT, basically if you don’t know it a particular long and hard hike.
Which makes me wonder, did you carry it in your backpack? And if so, assembled? It's pretty easy for the pipe to get "bumped" causing the stem to lever against the shank. Most of the time the tenon snaps, but occasionally the shank cracks.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Which makes me wonder, did you carry it in your backpack? And if so, assembled? It's pretty easy for the pipe to get "bumped" causing the stem to lever against the shank. Most of the time the tenon snaps, but occasionally the shank cracks.
Surprisingly it was when I got home it developed a problem and recent. We have gone through a wet spell in NC

on trail… mostly carried disassembled? I was surprised, honestly, to get this issue as the pipe really put up with a lot. Disassembled, assembled, just in a bag and through wrath, wreck and ruin.

Reactions: sablebrush52

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just chiming in and echoing what's been said, but that is a repair that is easily and permanently fixable by a pro at moderate cost. When the bowl cracks, that is more often the beginning of the end for a pipe.

Reactions: Erehwesle