PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I pay all the bills so I catch grief for the "stupid" stuff I buy, but then she realizes she doesn't have much of a leg to stand on and backs down rather quickly. I prefer to avoid those confrontations because I just don't want to hear about it. Luckily I am the only person in the house that (among many other things) checks the mail. I hate when purchases pile up on one day though. Had a bit of a row over a set of estate pipes and tobacco that showed up at the same time to the front door while she was home.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
As a Canadian, I'm finding the idea of a wine store that is also a pipe/cigar store somewhat mind blowing... that's an even bigger mystery than the "women's" thing :puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just love this thread=from the opening dialog by "dread" to the
In my house, I wear the pants....
but my wife picks out and chooses which ones...
by bryanf
My wife doesn't complain about the money-with her shoe and handbag fetish she can't talk at all.
Now she is starting up (with my daughter's assistance) on the health issues.
Just take a lesson from the wife You buy stuff, then you put it away for a week or two. After you use it in the open and if she asks tell her you've "had that ole pipe for years dontcha recognize it"? Just how the ladies do with clothes and shoes .... ;-0
That's a great idea, except I can't help showing off the newest PAD acquisition. So foolish...

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
My wife never wanted to combine our checking accounts. Her mother taught her "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine."
I play along because she has no idea how much I'm buying. [:wink:]
This is my situation and since she owns her own business I never ask about what she spends her money on and she thankfully never asks about the occasional box on the porch for me. As long as the bills get paid, we are cool!

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
At the moment, I have it made. She works in the office and I work from home most of the time. She almost never gets to the mail until hours after I've made mine seem like it's been there alllll along. And we have separate finances.
There has been a sudden influx of tins that I'm sure has been noticed, but she's not one to say anything most of the time. She has her own things too.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My wife never wanted to combine our checking accounts. Her mother taught her "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine."
You left out "What's ours is Mine"...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I believed I've mentioned this before, but my wife hates my cigar and pipe hobby. She also pays the bills so she see's all. I try to limit my purchases to when we don't have money coming out for bills or other expenses like Christmas or Birthdays. I don't spend more than $60 at a time usually and that keeps me from catching her wrath (most of the time). I have also at times sold off old pipes or cigars so that I could purchase different pipe(s) and tobacco.
Recently I sold off 20 cigars to a few of my cigar buddies on a different forum, so I could buy an estate pipe, a pipe rack and some pipe tobacco. The wife didn't like that I was buying stuff, but she didn't have much of an argument since I didn't take any money from the bank to make the purchases.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
:puffpipe: Tis' interesting how each of you deal with the same problem.... I recently purchased the grabbag from MM.... when I offered my wife her choice of cobs, she declined (she doesn't smoke).... so here I sit puffing away... in peace.... thankfully

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
dread, just tell the wife those Peterson's and H&H blends are from the stuff you already talked about..
I am pretty lucky, my wife is CFO but does not complain if I wish to buy a pipe as long as the bills are paid and I let her know before the purchase. She likes looking at the pipes I show her as well so its a great lead in to another pipe. After 18 years of marriage, this system works for us.
I just make sure she has her daily cigar available so all is good.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I just put money in random accounts for TAD purchases. Pipes are a lot harder, recently started so not many pipes to confuse her with.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
dread, just tell the wife those Peterson's and H&H blends are from the stuff you already talked about.
lol!
Dread, I think a lot of us deal with the same issue. My wife is pretty understanding, but there are times when she feels enough is enough. However, when I mention the coming tobaccaplypse, she relents a little.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Mine doesn't care at all actually. She bought a new pipe for me last year. And every now and then she will buy a tin for me. Now that I think about it, she hasn't complained once at all.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just make sure she has her daily cigar available so all is good.
True enough. My wife likes her daily glass (or 2) of wine. If she didn't have that, I'm sure I'd get a lot more grief for my habit/hobby.
Bottomline: if you're wife doesn't have a "hobby" like wine or cigars, get her started! :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
My wife doesn't spend money on anything. I'm really lucky in that regard. Although that makes it harder to explain my spending on pipes and tobacco's. She's usually pretty good about it and says I need to slow down a bit. Then she'll ask how many pipes do I really need to buy. I tell her I'll know that when I find that out.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@fitzy: Are we married to the same woman? 8O

I was about to post exactly the same thing!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Heh. I bought my second pipe online about a week after I bought my first pipe, and ordered a tobacco sampler at about the same time. My wife just looked at me and said "This is going to be one of THOSE hobbies, isn't it?" (she was smiling, for the record). I raised an eyebrow and asked her how many open boxes of tea we had in the pantry the moment...
And as long as I make my purchases out of my own "mad money" account, that's pretty much where it ended, aside from a few conversations about cancer risks and periodic checks on my end to make sure I'm cleaning up after myself sufficiently (she was quite pleased when I bought an ashtray without her having to ask... :D )

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
My wife doesn't work and hasn't since my twins were born so no seperate account on money. She doesn't really complain about pipes or tobacco but she has made it clear she will no longer dust and clean each one or the stands they sit in. So I buy em, smoke em , clean em and dust them occasionally and life is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.