PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey all. This is a very specific question, looking for experience on this one blend, not general principles
I have a couple 50 gr, rectangular tins of OGS unopened and cellaring. Do the square Orlik tins age well, or should I pop those babies in mason jars. I have Capstan , doing this with too.
I place virtually all my tobaccos in jars to age, but for some reason just haven't with these.
Chris

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Chris, as I understand it, the seal on the square tins should remain intact for long term aging. That being said, it is a good idea to check them every now and then to ensure the seal has not failed. I have all my OGS tins in there original tin and have not had any issues with the seals popping. There should be no need to transfer the contents to a mason jar.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Apparently, the metal tins will age more slowly than the round pop-tops, or if stored in a mason jar. The reason being that there is more oxygen in the latter.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The added bonus of a mason jar is the fact it can't rust on the inside (happens sometimes to tins).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Check the lids of all these red tins visually. A nicely sealed lid will usually be slightly concave due to a

partial vacuum. If they all look the same, then they should all be good. Chances are that all of them wouldn't

have failed at the same time. One could also check the lid's seal by hand. If the lid won't come off unless pried

with a coin, I would take a chance and leave the tobacco in the tin. That's my 2¢.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I store all my square, round and rectangle tins as they come and never jar them. I have opened 17 year old tins and the tobacco has aged beautifully in their original containers.

Dec 24, 2012
From what I have been told by numerous long time tobacco hoarders collectors, the square tins have a high failure rate - much higher than the round tins. Being the nervous nellie that I am, I store all my square and rectangular tins in air tight containers with silicon seals - I get about 50 into each container.

Status
Not open for further replies.