PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I've just started smoking Orlick Golden Sliced, maybe half a dozen bowls so far and it's spicier than other VaPer's I've smoked. BW Back Down South and Anthology being the two main ones, others have additional ingredients such as Cavandish or Oriental. Does anyone know the amount of Perique in OGS, is it hight or low? How does the percentage compare to Saloni 633? I have a tin of 633, but yet to smoke it.

Technically, it can be called a VaPer, but there is only a miniscule amount. I don't call it a VaPer at all because it has absolutely no perique qualities about it at all. My guess is that they add like maybe 1% perique, enough to help it along in the aging process... But, I bought three reams of tins when I first joined this forum. They were less than $5 a piece in bulk reams at a Pipes and Cigars sale. But, age doesn't really improve this one very much. In fact, I would argue that there is absolutely no evidence that perique is in it at all. The only thing that suggests it has some is from marketing copy. It seems to taste just like it did the day i bought it. Which is ok. Not mind blowing for me.

Reactions: Scottmi and JimInks

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Hmmm, maybe I'm just smoking it to quickly and what I'm sensing is very mild tounge bite verse spiciness then. However, I didn't get that from Capstan Blue or Yellow. I'm new to all this, so making these distractions is a little tough.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I do believe there is a small percentage of perique in it.

It’s my contention that as the blend ages and the Virginias mellow and sweeten the Perique is more noticeable. It’s way in the background, but noticeable to me.

Everybody’s perception of taste is different.

I recently opened a 6 year old tin of OGS, and I notice the Perique in it. It kind of fades in and out, is more noticeable mid to end of the bowl. It’s actually easily missed. But to me it’s definitely there in an albiet way.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Technically, it can be called a VaPer, but there is only a miniscule amount. I don't call it a VaPer at all because it has absolutely no perique qualities about it at all. My guess is that they add like maybe 1% perique, enough to help it along in the aging process... But, I bought three reams of tins when I first joined this forum. They were less than $5 a piece in bulk reams at a Pipes and Cigars sale. But, age doesn't really improve this one very much. In fact, I would argue that there is absolutely no evidence that perique is in it at all. The only thing that suggests it has some is from marketing copy. It seems to taste just like it did the day i bought it. Which is ok. Not mind blowing for me.
does Virginia need 'help' to age?

Reactions: mbmoehl

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Also a fan of OGS here. Love the stuff. And like many who have chimed in, I never noticed any periqueyness to it. I did a side by side comparison a couple years ago of a fresh tin against a 10 year old tin. Not a whole lot of difference other than the light citrus essence present in the fresh stuff was all but gone in the older one... I snagged a bunch when it was on sale a while back so I've got some older tins, but I prefer the fresh version with the bright citrus note. YMMV

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I had an opportunity to sit and smoke a large bowl of OGS last night. I put on a podcast and just took my time with it, sipping as much as possible. The first few draws before a lasting ember set in I had the same experience, but once I got into a slower rhythm, I came into a more citricy taste and the spiciness dropped away. It was very good. Don't know why this blend requires more of my attention than Capstan, but i like the more meditative state of mind it puts me in. Definitely not a work smoke for me. Appreciate all the comments.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Also a fan of OGS here. Love the stuff. And like many who have chimed in, I never noticed any periqueyness to it. I did a side by side comparison a couple years ago of a fresh tin against a 10 year old tin. Not a whole lot of difference other than the light citrus essence present in the fresh stuff was all but gone in the older one... I snagged a bunch when it was on sale a while back so I've got some older tins, but I prefer the fresh version with the bright citrus note. YMMV

I once opened a 10 yo tin and found the citrus/apricot still strong -- but then it disappeared pretty quickly in a mason jar. Much more quickly than a fresh tin's citrus/apricot disappears in a mason jar.

To me, that topping is what sets OGS apart. I'm not as interested without it.