PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Yes, he looked very slow. He’s talked about shedding some pounds for the fight against Stipe.

Bo Nickal is definitely one to keep an eye on.
For sure. I could see Jones dropping 15/20 for stipe. He’ll need the speed. That’ll be a great fight.

Reactions: BriarLinedMeer

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
@TheIronMonkey, do you think that Jones was maybe waiting for Francis to leave?
I know Dana said "We tried" but I'm not too sure aye.

What makes Jones so damn good?

It'll be awesome to see the Stipe fight, I know how its going to go, but if Stipe manages it, holy moley, my heart!

Reactions: kcghost
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@TheIronMonkey, do you think that Jones was maybe waiting for Francis to leave?
I know Dana said "We tried" but I'm not too sure aye.

What makes Jones so damn good?

It'll be awesome to see the Stipe fight, I know how its going to go, but if Stipe manages it, holy moley, my heart!

I have a few thoughts on that. I think, between Stipe and Francis, Jones always would’ve preferred to fight Stipe first. Even though Stipe can wrestle, I think Jones probably felt his tool set could handle Stipe for the win with less risk; the possibility of getting KOed by the massive power of Francis would always be a legitimate concern, not that Stipe doesn’t have knockout power—it’s just less superhuman and tolerable. Plus, with Stipe being considered “the greatest heavyweight of all time,” Jones would cement history as GOAT by defeating him. Combine the elite fighters he defeated in the Light Heavyweight division and that, and it would be hard to argue he wasn’t the GOAT (apart from the picograms asterisk that will be attached to his name—although retroactive damage control is being done to that with recent rulings and changes). That said, I think a fight against Francis would’ve been the biggest payday ever. I don’t think Jones would avoid that. His wrestling is good enough that his approach would’ve been to clinch and get Francis to the ground. Jones’s ego probably would prefer a KO over Francis, given Jones’s penchant for trying to beat his opponents at their own game. In a high percentage of his fights, he tried to outdo each fighter at what they were known for using. Had the fight against Chael gone into the second round, Jones might’ve lost by TKO because of the horrific flipped over toe that he has to tape up to this day. I remember turning green when I saw the close up footage of the toe flipping over when the guys in the video truck found it just after the fight and it was shown in an isolated close up.

His control of distance; his ability to roll with punches; his creativity and his reach advantage have been huge reasons for his success. With the bigger guys in the heavyweight division, the reach advantage has been diminished. The creative striking that was so innovative ten years ago is becoming more commonplace today. People often argue that Jones lost in the first Gustafsson fight. When I watched it live, I thought that might be a possibility. I’ve watched it multiple times since then over the years, and firmly believe Jones won. Jones rolled with many punches and didn’t take as much damage as might’ve been perceived. The Reyes win might be iffier, but again, I don’t think as much damage was inflicted for the same reasons. Jones got very conservative with the Santos and Reyes fights. It seems like he was fearful of Santos’s power (with good reason) and was content to just get the decision. He seemed to have lost the hunger and motivation of his early years. He wasn’t having fun anymore. I think the challenge of moving up to heavyweight has made him motivated again.

If Jones can beat Stipe and lay claim to beating “the greatest heavyweight of all time,” I believe we’ll see him retire.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I think the UFC is so desperate for another Conor, they'll bend the rules as much as possible.
None of the other athletes are so charismatic.

The judges seem really poor at the moment, in particular the ones you mentioned.
I wonder if they'll get banned or punished in some way, as its terrible for the sport.

And absolutely, some amazing cards, Islam vs Olivera comes to mind, Porier vs Chandler also, and a few others.

Whats your take on Volk vs Islam?

I love both of them and they're amazing athletes, best of luck to both imo.

Volkanovski vs. Makhachev was amazing. I think Islam underestimated Volk’s takedown defense. A rematch could be a problem for Islam.

• Love

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Volkanovski vs. Makhachev was amazing. I think Islam underestimated Volk’s takedown defense. A rematch could be a problem for Islam.
Best martial arts I've seen in ages, I think it was a draw to be honest, but I have bias.

I have a few thoughts on that. I think, between Stipe and Francis, Jones always would’ve preferred to fight Stipe first. Even though Stipe can wrestle, I think Jones probably felt his tool set could handle Stipe for the win with less risk; the possibility of getting KOed by the massive power of Francis would always be a legitimate concern, not that Stipe doesn’t have knockout power—it’s just less superhuman and tolerable. Plus, with Stipe being considered “the greatest heavyweight of all time,” Jones would cement history as GOAT by defeating him. Combine the elite fighters he defeated in the Light Heavyweight division and that, and it would be hard to argue he wasn’t the GOAT (apart from the picograms asterisk that will be attached to his name—although retroactive damage control is being done to that with recent rulings and changes). That said, I think a fight against Francis would’ve been the biggest payday ever. I don’t think Jones would avoid that. His wrestling is good enough that his approach would’ve been to clinch and get Francis to the ground. Jones’s ego probably would prefer a KO over Francis, given Jones’s penchant for trying to beat his opponents at their own game. In a high percentage of his fights, he tried to outdo each fighter at what they were known for using. Had the fight against Chael gone into the second round, Jones might’ve lost by TKO because of the horrific flipped over toe that he has to tape up to this day. I remember turning green when I saw the close up footage of the toe flipping over when the guys in the video truck found it just after the fight and it was shown in an isolated close up.

His control of distance; his ability to roll with punches; his creativity and his reach advantage have been huge reasons for his success. With the bigger guys in the heavyweight division, the reach advantage has been diminished. The creative striking that was so innovative ten years ago is becoming more commonplace today. People often argue that Jones lost in the first Gustafsson fight. When I watched it live, I thought that might be a possibility. I’ve watched it multiple times since then over the years, and firmly believe Jones won. Jones rolled with many punches and didn’t take as much damage as might’ve been perceived. The Reyes win might be iffier, but again, I don’t think as much damage was inflicted for the same reasons. Jones got very conservative with the Santos and Reyes fights. It seems like he was fearful of Santos’s power (with good reason) and was content to just get the decision. He seemed to have lost the hunger and motivation of his early years. He wasn’t having fun anymore. I think the challenge of moving up to heavyweight has made him motivated again.

If Jones can beat Stipe and lay claim to beating “the greatest heavyweight of all time,” I believe we’ll see him retire.
Alex's downfall was rough as, I feel so sorry for the dude.

And yes, absolutely, we'll see (I'm 99% sure Jones is gonna walk through him)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think the UFC is so desperate for another Conor, they'll bend the rules as much as possible.
None of the other athletes are so charismatic.

Charismatic???

That pathetic little prick full-on sucker punched an old man---from the side---who was sitting motionless at a bar, looking forward, with both hands on a glass in front of him, because the old man had waved away a drink offered BY the pathetic little prick because he didn't like loudmouth pathetic little pricks as a categorical thing.

100% caught on security video. Clear sightline, centered in frame, good resolution.

The only reason the pathetic little prick didn't go to jail was because he tossed however big a wad of cash was required at the guy to get him to refuse to press charges, and the cops & political types were OK with it because they didn't want to lose the international star / golden goose who brought all that tax money and event revenue into their domain.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Charismatic???

That pathetic little prick full-on sucker punched an old man---from the side---who was sitting motionless at a bar, looking forward, with both hands on a glass in front of him, because the old man had waved away a drink offered BY the pathetic little prick because he didn't like loudmouth pathetic little pricks as a categorical thing.

100% caught on security video. Clear sightline, centered in frame, good resolution.

The only reason the pathetic little prick didn't go to jail was because he tossed however big a wad of cash was required at the guy to get him to refuse to press charges, and the cops & political types were OK with it because they didn't want to lose the international star / golden goose who brought all that tax money and event revenue into their domain.
I agree totally, just like Jones beat his wife, and its ok "Because I found god", its because you are wealthy.
He does have charisma, people get a hard on for Conor, despite him being a horrible bastard. (See him insulting Poriers family for shits and giggles?)

People have short memories, and don't care, I personal think such actions should preclude you from competing professionally ever again, you're a professional fighter, not some random dude, your entire job is to hit people, its not acceptable you can do that and get away with it.

With that being said, he is definitely charismatic and pulls the numbers for UFC.

Reactions: Zero

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
He does have charisma, people get a hard on for Conor, despite him being a horrible bastard. (See him insulting Poriers family for shits and giggles?)

Professional fighting changed forever when Cassius Clay decided to follow the advice of theater-showman wrestler Gorgeous George to be as obnoxious as possible... so that people would buy tickets to see well-behaved fighters shut him up.

Turns out it had an unexpected beneficial side effect when Sonny Liston thought there was something supernatural going on (seriously---Sonny was superstitious and not very bright, and no opponent had ever NOT been afraid of him before)---which messed with HIS head. (Clay actually was scared of Sonny, and admits he amped up the showmanship & trashtalk as a distraction for himself as well as to sell tickets).

The net result a half century later is true dickheads get a pass to act like shits everywhere, all the time, not just in the run-up to a headline match.

Me? The only fighters I respect outside the ring/octagon are the ones who let their ability in the ring do the talking.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.27 PM.png

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Professional fighting changed forever when Cassius Clay decided to follow the advice of theater-showman wrestler Gorgeous George to be as obnoxious as possible... so that people would buy tickets to see well-behaved fighters shut him up.

Turns out it had an unexpected beneficial side effect when Sonny Liston thought there was something supernatural going on (seriously---Sonny was superstitious and not very bright, and no opponent had ever NOT been afraid of him before)---which messed with HIS head. (Clay actually was scared of Sonny, and admits he amped up the showmanship & trashtalk as a distraction for himself as well as to sell tickets).

The net result a half century later is true dickheads get a pass to act like shits everywhere, all the time, not just in the run-up to a headline match.

Me? The only fighters I respect outside the ring/octagon are the ones who let their ability in the ring do the talking.

View attachment 212803
I never knew that, and I love Fedor, legend, polite, kind, murderous

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
The three arrows and getting revenge on his son, priceless. I didn’t think he was going to win but he stayed focused and got the KO. His fight IQ is next level. Truly deserving of the win.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Watching it live, it looked like Izzy’s calf was getting chewed up and he was in trouble up against the cage. I thought he was going to get finished. Then the right to the chin came out during the flurry. The left to the face as Alex was going down was brilliant. On the replay, it was evident that Izzy was pulling a “rope-a-dope” and playing possum to get Alex to open up while trying to put Izzy away. Pure genius and an amazing KO. The dig at the son was hilarious.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Man, that russian dude, should be cool to see him fight Jones, but wonder what his wrestling is like!
I’ll be curious to see how things play out. If the Bones vs. Stipe fight actually happens and JJ beats “the greatest heavyweight of all time,” I could see him retiring. If Jones is truly motivated and having fun again, who knows? He might be willing to take on all comers. Sergei Pavlovich is pretty scary—I’d almost be more interested in seeing him head to head with Francis Ngannou. Anyway, that’s a pretty sick first round knockout streak he has going. With Jones’s penchant for trying to beat opponents at their own game, chasing a KO with Pavlovich would be risky business; wrestling is probably a better route to victory for Jones.