Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I gave him the chance to handle it in a way to save face, but instead he got mad and just posted a note that this has been canceled by the site owner. He refused to acknowledge that he had no right to do what he was doing, and didn't apologize.
In my next email I offered to delete the original thread to avoid any further embarrassment.
I ended my 2nd email to Rick with this:
I'm sorry you feel you need to leave the site, but it is your prerogative where you post online. If you want me to delete that thread completely, I'm happy to do so. You are certainly still welcome to post on pipesmagazine.com, and I hope you continue to do so. If you decide to come back later, this remains an open invitation.
I'm not begging anyone to stay here. Anyone is free to go. I will stand by what we have created here as a worthy destination site for pipe smokers. People can choose to visit, participate, or not.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Wow.
What a crazy end to that. I saw the "POY" thread early on. I read it, shrugged, and left. I didn't have any interest in it, as is my choice. Then I saw it was closed, and saw Kevin's post at the end of it. I saw his point of view and wondered what would come of the out-of-forum discussions.
With it ending like this, I might as well post my point of view.
It's Kevin's site (I'm not sure of the exact details with Bob, no offense intended) and he's right to remain focused on his business goals. We, as the members of the site, add value to the site by our presence here in the forum and posting blog articles. The posting of the comments and articles does give a sense of "community", but the user agreement does not turn that into entitlement with regards to the business direction or branding of PipesMagazine.com.
It's not a pipe club. We don't pay dues. There is no annual meeting to set the goals and executive of the club. Our contributions of written content and patronage of the sponsors keep the site as a going concern, but it's Kevin's concern. To start something which has business implications without first consulting the business owner is just asking for a problem.
Imagine for a moment: you are posting in the forums at Car and Driver. Would you expect to find the users there organizing the creation of merchandise which would be the "Car and Driver Floormat of the Year"? Same situation, and I doubt the response from the publisher would have been as nice as Kevin's.
I have a friend who has a very similar fishing-oriented site which he has built over 10 years into a business that provides for his family and a handful of employees. His solution has been to establish community-building events and merchandise which are in line with his business goals. Perhaps PipesMagazine.com will do so in the future, but that is not our choice. We can make suggestions, but to take it in the direction of the POY thread was well beyond that.
I think any departure over this is an overreaction, but it's everyone's choice to do so or not. I'll miss RJ and his forum postings.
Simon

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Best of luck to you on the site Kevin. I am departing as well. I think we all come here for the people and discussion. You do have a right to your brand, in a way I feel this was all brought on by me. I first made the suggestion of the tobacco blend, if I knew then it would lead to the situation at hand I would never suggested it in the first place. With that said, I do wish you the best.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks Sapo. No hard feelings. No one is being kicked out. You are free to come and go as you please.
Feel free to chime in anytime you want.
Btw, there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion as you did on the tobacco.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks Simon. I appreciate that.
(FYI, I am 100% owner of the site and Bob works here, but he is undoubtedly my right hand man, and knows way more about pipes and tobaccos than me. I know him and trust him 100% going back to his involvement in my prior cigar site.)

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
As the pipemaker stuck in the middle, let me just say that I agree with both sides. First, Kevin is well within his rights and we should have checked with him. On the other hand, the response was indeed heavy-handed, as are the disappearing posts and the deleting of Rick's email address. It would have been simple and easy to change any reference to POY and to continue as a project among friends. Most of us, I think, are used to forums without any noticeable sponsorship, and maybe that is the issue. We are living in a homeowners association when we thought we were out in the country. I am more comfortable in the country. Best wishes and goodbye.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
raftergtex said - On the other hand, the response was indeed heavy-handed, as are the disappearing posts and the deleting of Rick's email address
You are entitled to your opinion on my response, and that is fine. Let me address the other two things.
1. We have this thread going here. We didn't need a new one for jcsoldit to give his final farewell. He can still post it here in this thread if he wants to.
2. Rick's email address in his signature was there as a solicitation for people to contact him to go to another forum. It is improper use of this site to solicit people to go to another site, so I deleted his email and the note he put to contact him to find out where to go instead of this site.
It would have been simple and easy to change any reference to POY and to continue as a project among friends.
And you still can. Make a Coca Cola or Disney Pipe of the Year instead if you really want to see what a "heavy-handed" response is.
Most of us, I think, are used to forums without any noticeable sponsorship, and maybe that is the issue.
Two things on that:
1. No other site exists with as much information, news, articles, photos, new product coverage, show coverage, etc. and we are able to do it because this is a professional, commercial endeavor. This is not a garage band.
2. You make pipes for profit, don't you Tim? I don't think you're doing it just for fun and giving them away for free.
Do I need to apologize because I am the only person running a pipe site, offering free content, and not selling any products that actually knows how to offer something of a great enough value that I can earn a living from it?
Lastly, I don't go to other pipe forums, but I am told that this one is one of the least moderated there is. If that's true than I think you ain't seen nothin' yet when it comes to heavy-handedness.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Wow. I am really surprised at the over reaction by some of the members (former members?).
According to the e-mail that Kevin sent, I saw no hostility or even a cease and desist type of response. All that he did was say that the project could not go forward using the PipesMagazine.com name, especially since nobody even asked for permission to use it. I totally agree with his decision 100% and it is not because I work for the site either (although some of you may think so anyway). If any of those who are upset about this would put themselves in his position, I am sure that they would agree. If they had worked their ass of and poured themselves into a business venture and someone decided to use their business name on something without even asking, I am sure that they would be more upset than Kevin got. Actually he wasn't even upset, he was flattered. But at the end of the day it is still a business and he owns the rights to it and he can not allow people to use them without even asking and giving serious consideration. Nobody who owns a business would.
I am a member at a lot of the other pipe forums and I read almost all of them. Yes, some of them do offer Pipes of the Years, tobaccos, lighters, etc. But they are all ran through and approved by the site owners and sometimes the site moderators, not the site members.
As far as the part about it being “all about the money”, this is a double edge sword. On one hand, it is about the money because this is a professional business endeavor. Anyone who owns a business wants to make money from it. Isn’t that the point of owning a business? On the other hand, Kevin isn’t worried about making money on a PipesMagazine pipes, tobaccos, shirts, etc. We talk about these things frequently and are always trying to find a way for us to be able to do it without it costing the members much money, which means that there would be NO income from those things for the site. But our main priority is the running of the site by putting up articles, videos, reviews, interviews, etc, not selling PipesMagazine merchandise.
On the part about the site having sponsors; yes, we have sponsors. Everyone has to remember that we are a Professional E-Magazine. Just because we don’t do a print magazine doesn’t mean that there isn’t any overhead. Keep in mind that we are a 100% FREE site. Members and readers don’t have to pay to join and/or read the articles, reviews, watch the videos, etc. Where else can you get a free subscription to a magazine for as long as you want? Since we don’t charge to become a member or read the site, and we don’t ever want to charge people for it, we need advertisers. Hell, even magazines that you pay for, buy, and subscribe to have advertisers in them.
To address the part of it being like a “Homeowners Association”, I don’t see how. There are rules to follow at EVERY forum, club, or anything else. And to be honest, I know for a fact that we have the least amount of rules of almost every other forum out there. We don’t over moderate or forums, hell we barely moderate our forums. We allow all of our members the right to say pretty much whatever they want about anything that they want (within reason). We prefer for most of the talk to be about pipes and pipe tobacco, but we also understand that there are other things that people would like to talk about as well.
There are some pipe forums out there that won’t tolerate ANY discussions of anything other than pipes and pipe tobacco. Maybe if we moderated our forums more, this situation wouldn’t even have happened. But we like to give our members free range to discuss various things without being told what they can and can’t say. As far some posts or things in posts being moderated or deleted. That is the prerogative of the site if the rules are not followed. All forums do it and I would like to say again, that we do it the least out of any pipe forum that I have seen. Soliciting people to go to another site is spam and is not tolerated on any site.
With all of that being said, everyone is welcome here. But if some people want to get upset over something trivial and want to take their ball and go home, there is nothing that we can do about it. So for those people who are leaving and have left; farewell, best wishes, and good luck.
Regards,

Bob

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I wish to thank Kevin for providing a free site to post on .I undertsand the time and money that goes into keeping a web site up and going . Iam a member of a long standing gamers forum and server .I hope you will take me at my word that it is expensive . While some have noted that there are sponsers , keeping a web site up is a full time job . Now where the in blazes is my pipe so I can follow Larrys advice .

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
Kevin and Bob,
This site is great I came here looking to learn, "How to correctly smoke and care for my new pipe". This site has more than met my expectations and that is a credit to you both.
As members or visitors to this site we must remember that Kevin owns the wall, we just get to use it to post our notices. As the owner Kevin can decide what notices can be posted and he can remove notices he deems inappropriate.
It is ironic that many of the members leaving had signatures on their posts espousing the greatness of the USA, our society, etc. One of the things that make this country great is the opportunity to be an entrepreneur and start a business. It is a shame that they do not recognize or respect that they were trespassing on Kevin's property.
I assumed that the posts at the center of all this, had been approved by the site's ownership. This last point is crucial because this could also create liability on the part of the ownership if they fail to protect their rights. So, in the end I fully support the actions of the site owner. And look forward to enjoying and being a member of this site for years to come.
Frank

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I second Igloo and Frankryan. I think it was a smart move to go ahead, make an example, and nip it in the bud for future "merch" that wasn't approved first. Sorry to see you guys want to leave off of something so petty. Hope to see ya'll cool off and come back; I truly enjoyed having you guys here.
Kevin and Bob, I would personally like to thank you guys for the work you put in here. I think its awesome to be able to read personal interviews with pipe makers, events, and tobacconist, as well as getting to see visuals with pictures and videos. This type of stuff is what got my attention first, then the forums.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Frank and Robert, thanks for your comments. It's greatly appreciated. At this point nobody has been banned. I think that would have been different elsewhere.
However, I am closing this thread on the advice and request of members that sent me private messages.
There is so much negativity here and we want the positive threads to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.