PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Ernie makes great blends and he's a great guy. We had fun creating Rougaroux together.

Jim, I see you have been smoking KBV Verge Engine Overdrive. Can you compare that to Rougaroux?
I'm getting a LOT of tangy/sour notes from Verge Engine OD, and unfortunately they don't quite agree with my tastebuds.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, I see you have been smoking KBV Verge Engine Overdrive. Can you compare that to Rougaroux?
I'm getting a LOT of tangy/sour notes from Verge Engine OD, and unfortunately they don't quite agree with my tastebuds.

The VEO is stronger, sweeter and more tart and tangy with a few more sour notes. With Rougaroux, I wanted something with a little punch, complexity and light ruggedness, but not enough to preclude it from being an all day smoke. Ernie felt the same way, of course. I happen to like VEO very much, but it's not an all day smoke. They are two different flavor categories to me.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
The VEO is stronger, sweeter and more tart and tangy with a few more sour notes. With Rougaroux, I wanted something with a little punch, complexity and light ruggedness, but not enough to preclude it from being an all day smoke. Ernie felt the same way, of course. I happen to like VEO very much, but it's not an all day smoke. They are two different flavor categories to me.

Thanks bud!

Old Dominion is as tart as I like to go. LOVE that stuff. Some sour/tart hints here and there, but not out of balance.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Interesting to hear. I just got some of this delivered yesterday and was putting off smoking it, but I love tangy and sour. I think I'll open it up. And I'm going to browse some on the Watch City website.
You may like Flake #558. Here's my review of it:
The Virginias are tangy dark fruit and lightly tart citrus sweet with a touch of bread, grass, and a lot of earth and wood as the lead components. The dark fired Kentucky is slightly nutty, smoky, floral, herbal, vegetative, earthy, and woody with a little spice as a supporting player. In a secondary position, the perique has more raisin, fig, earth, plum, and date flavors than it does spice, which is very moderate. I would call this a crumble cake, and not a flake. The strength and taste thresholds are medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength level. Well balanced with a very consistent, mildly sweet, lightly sour and rather spicy, deeply rich taste, it burns very slow, clean and cool no matter how you rub it out. No dull, weak or harsh spots, and leaves virtually no moisture at the finish. Requires some relights. Won't bite no matter how far you push it. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste and stronger room note. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
The Virginias are tangy dark fruit and lightly tart citrus sweet with a touch of bread, grass, and a lot of earth and wood as the lead components. The dark fired Kentucky is slightly nutty, smoky, floral, herbal, vegetative, earthy, and woody with a little spice as a supporting player. In a secondary position, the perique has more raisin, fig, earth, plum, and date flavors than it does spice, which is very moderate. I would call this a crumble cake, and not a flake. The strength and taste thresholds are medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength level. Well balanced with a very consistent, mildly sweet, lightly sour and rather spicy, deeply rich taste, it burns very slow, clean and cool no matter how you rub it out. No dull, weak or harsh spots, and leaves virtually no moisture at the finish. Requires some relights. Won't bite no matter how far you push it. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste and stronger room note. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.
Thank you! It's added my shopping cart.

Reactions: JimInks

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
558 is grrrrrreat!

Status
Not open for further replies.