Odd, Strange, Or Exotic Things You Have Eaten Plus Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Pine needles are great for Vitamin C, brew them with a little mint if available.
Dulgunz, color blind and foraging? Man, that's rough. In a situation like that you can test what may be edible in increments. Smell it, no trace of bitter Almond or strong unpleasant odor then rub a little on the inside of your forearm and wait 20 min for effects. None? Cook it up and before you eat any touch a small bit to your lips, wait 20 min, nothing crazy then take a little bite, chew and hold in mouth. Any bad/off tastes or effects spit it out. If still good then swallow and wait a few hours. Alive? Congratulations, what you ate is edible.
Don't consider anything I've ate exotic, no brains, feet or organs but I forage a lot and often eat from the woods only when nature is being agreeable. Some people think it's strange I'd rather not buy my food, especially mushrooms since there's a lot of room for error. Dryad's Saddle sauteed in butter with Ramps sounds good right now, come tomorrow I'll know if that's for dinner and let you know what it pairs with.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Ramps are good stuff and I do like to cottage for mushrooms but have made my share of mistakes just not deadly ones. I agree, being color blind and having to forage is tough. Better to learn how to identify plants using taxonomy but your method of tasting/testing seems sound enough and a likely life saver.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think that the weirdest thing I ate was woodcock intestines ... pretty tasty actually. Bear meat, I beg to differ, if properly prepared it can be a very rich meal, full of protein, lean, maybe a bit hard to chew. Ate all sorts of bear stuff, including sausage. In these parts of the world bear paws are a delicacy and very very expensive. I never had them. Ibex pastrami is also something I had a chance to try in my various hunting outings. One thing I would never try is those brazilian specialties with semi hatched rotten duck eggs ... :crazy:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
dulgunz that's an experience, sir ... the stuff one has to do in the military makes either for good stories to tell at old age or bad memories ..

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
@jpmcwjr - Where did you try bear? I saw it on the menu once when I lived in Russia, but I wasn't about to spend 1600₽ (That comes to a bit over 45$ at the time) for 100 grams of meat.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"I do like to cottage for mushrooms but have made my share of mistakes just not deadly ones."
False Morels? Never ate one but I hear it's just stomach pains etc. I'll take anyone in the woods with me but I won't advocate they play mycologist. Do not eat any mushroom if you're not 10,000% sure.
"Better to learn how to identify plants using taxonomy but your method of tasting/testing seems sound enough and a likely life saver."
Knowledge and experience are priceless compared to having a method of not dying that involves hours of isolated testing for toxicity. But not everyone knows what's edible and situations occur where they might have to, it's a very cheap imitation for being properly equipped but a reliable tool if it's all one has.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't do strange or exotic food. My wife hates that I'm so boring like that. Give me a cheeseburger, or pizza any day. And well Carter Hall of course.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
"cottage..." how does my autocorrect turn forage into cottage? And how did I miss it? There are a number of "edible" mushrooms that are delicious to some but will give others the worse sort of stomach issues. Clitocybes and Lactarius come to mind. Like you, I never give recommendations to anyone on the edibilty of any forage food. What is good for you might not be good for another.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Rocky mountain oysters (beef) in Colorado, Fried Gator and Rattle Snake, both tastes like chicken. Cod lips, cheek, and tongue while visiting Newfoundland, stay away from the jelly like center of the tongue.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Whale sashimi followed by Best Brown on a day trip to Kyoto. Frankly enjoyed them both, although I did feel a trifle guilty about the Best Brown as it was my last bowlful.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Fried gator tastes more like fried catfish to me. I have never had whale and I doubt I would eat it unless it was being provided by an Inuit. It looks rich as hell.. Fatty. Cod cheeks are suppose to be the best part of the fish and expensive. Yeah, no to the jelly like center.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Odd, strange, exotic? Taco Bell. Which also leaves a strange buzz and rumble and various other after effects. It's not Fugu, but on the other hand...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a campsite in the Everglades some locals shared some excellent deep fried turtle with us. Not the most exotic meat, but not often served in that form most places.

adrianslomo

Lurker
Jun 3, 2019
Balut is partially developed duck egg. There's also deep fried day-old chick on a stick. We also have "jumping salad," little live shrimp with onions. They jump around when you squeeze lemon or add vinegar.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Liver: beef wasn't too great as a kid but I love chicken livers is marinated andsauteed, not much of a fan of chopped liver, much to dad's chagrin.
Tongue is delicious no matter what. Beef tongue sandwich on rye with mustard is a must, and I can't pass up a language burrito with extra spicy salsa.
Ate a fish eye once as a kid. Not great.
Head cheese isn't bad at all, spicy is pretty damn good. Pig's feet is.... well a bit salty for me. I do love me some blood sausage and I could really go for some more.
Kinda wanna try more chaw or more snus, but I use it so infrequently it may never happen.
Tea is my lifeline when I go sober or just wanna stay safe in general, and I'm still trying more and more when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.