Occasionally, I Do Try To Be Neighborly.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

We know pretty much everyone in our neighborhood. We have had so many festivals in our park, cookouts, and the schools will hold functions where we meet up with neighbors and such, even if our kids are graduated, that it is pretty close knit. We have several people to whom we could call to feed our pets if we had to get caught out away from the house for the day. And, in a pinch, I have picked up some neighbor's kids from school. Snowstorms, and we will all gather at someone's house to stay warm when the power goes off. I also spent several years checking in on an elderly gentleman each day for his kids that live out of town.

Maybe it's just Southern culture, but being neighborly, helping each other, and having each other's backs is just a given.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Maybe it's just Southern culture, but being neighborly, helping each other, and having each other's backs is just a given.
I don't think it's a Southern thing. We do the same in our neighborhood.

My neighbor/friend, who's in his 70's, across the street lost his wife about two years ago. I check on him...visit with...help him several times a week. We sometimes just sit in the driveway and talk.

Another neighbor a few doors down bakes banana bread for everyone on our street during the holidays and is willing to help anyone anytime.

We purchased our house over thirty years ago and we've seen neighbors come and go. Some friendly, some not. The one's that usually move are usually the unfriendly ones.

I don't think it's a Southern thing. We do the same in our neighborhood.

My neighbor/friend, who's in his 70's, across the street lost his wife about two years ago. I check on him...visit with...help him several times a week. We sometimes just sit in the driveway and talk.

Another neighbor a few doors down bakes banana bread for everyone on our street during the holidays and is willing to help anyone anytime.

We purchased our house over thirty years ago and we've seen neighbors come and go. Some friendly, some not. The one's that usually move are usually the unfriendly ones.
I'm glad to hear that. The world needs more friendlyness.

My next door neighbor and I tend to talk through the fence almost every day. It's our Tool Time talks, as we usually discuss lawn maintenance, gardening, farming, or tools, ha ha.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My closest neighbor are a Middle aged Black couple, her husband is a welding inspector and goes all over on trips, I have an understanding that she can call me anytime night or day when he is away. If she’s really scared she’s welcome to spend the night. When I made a garden, I gave them the excess which was quite abundant, just treating people like you would like to Be treated.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
About 4 years ago, I moved from the City to the Suburbs. It's been a hard transition. In the more urban areas, we all kept very much to ourselves. I knew my next door neighbors and their next door neighbors. That was it. I knew more dogs in the neighborhood than people. It's not that we weren't friendly, it's just not what we did.

Here I am a few years later. Neighbors all stopping to talk to each other. Backyard BBQ all the time, kids running around all over the place. And the constant sound of lawnmowers on weekends. In the 4 short years I've been here, I know more about some of my neighbors than I know about my sister. A neighbor this past winter after a snowstorm knocked on my door, told us he was going to the store, and asked if we needed anything.
I know in my head that this is right, this is good, this is why I moved us out of Baltimore. But it takes some getting used to, it takes some learning how to be neighborly when all you know is seemingly stand-offish.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We know pretty much everyone in our neighborhood. We have had so many festivals in our park, cookouts, and the schools will hold functions where we meet up with neighbors and such, even if our kids are graduated, that it is pretty close knit. We have several people to whom we could call to feed our pets if we had to get caught out away from the house for the day. And, in a pinch, I have picked up some neighbor's kids from school. Snowstorms, and we will all gather at someone's house to stay warm when the power goes off. I also spent several years checking in on an elderly gentleman each day for his kids that live out of town.

wait you say your neighbors know you and let you pick up their kids? Something isn't adding up here? Did you forget to tell us about the blackmail material you have on them?

Reactions: JOHN72

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
it's never been good and always been good. It's just that you forget everything but the good shit after a few decades. Or at least that is how I feel about snl.
SNL in recent years has turned from comedy to politcal opinion. SNL always made fun of politics but SNL has become a platform for hollyweird to attack thoughts that they deem inappropriate to their standards. Comedy in general is dead. In my opinion.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
SNL in recent years has turned from comedy to politcal opinion. SNL always made fun of politics but SNL has become a platform for hollyweird to attack thoughts that they deem inappropriate to their standards. Comedy in general is dead. In my opinion.
that's cause you're old. I am only half busting you're balls too. SNL has always been political and it's always been something for the kids. It's really kind of always been pretty much for people in their late teens to early twenties. And it's always dealt with what they find funny and what things are going to annoy and irritate the old farts they have to deal with, been that way from the start. For example it's not hard to age someone by what years they consider SNL to be great, still good, and utter crap. That's one of the things comedy is supposed to do. Reflect and comment on the world that people are navigating and kids have more political shit shoved in their faces on a daily basis now then they ever have so of course their comedy is going to be more overt about it, oh and the political discussions are so much more divided (not the politics themselves, but the discussion), toxic, aggressive, and constant then any of the rest of us ever had to deal with in our youths so of course their comedy is going to be more overtly political then the comedy of our youth was. And we should all be happy about that because if the kids ever stop pissing off their elders then we're probably really fucked, because for some reason either the world has stopped changing and is completely stagnant or they've changed and ceased to adapt to the world that's different then the ones we grew up in. Or at least that's my take on it.
Oh also wanted to say it's not for you it's not for me it's for them. When people complain about it reminds me of people my age complaining about the music kids listen to. Of course we think it's shit it's not for us just like our parents thought we listened to shit music.

Reactions: FurCoat