PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I have a genetic disposition to canker sores and get them quite frequently which as you can imagine is miserable as a pipe smoker. I still have my wisdom teeth and will often get them in the back as I assume I might bit my cheek with my wisdom teeth in my sleep (sorry for the tmi). I have always read that one should entirely abstain from pipe smoking to let sores or lesions in the mouth heal but are there really any impacts of occasionally (mostly social) smoking with a sore in the mouth. If @Doctor Chopper has any insight, I would love to hear. Blessings all.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Aren’t canker sores from VD? Anyhow I know what you mean. I didn’t wear my bite guard the other night and there was a blood-filled blister on my lip the next day. So I am abstaining til it heals. Smoke carcinogen particulate can enter it and embed future cancer-causing stuff. I am not a doctor but have read this. I would say if you do smoke brush it thoroughly and mouthwash. Also, this is so infrequent of a thing for me so a few days off is no issue. If I had it all the time I might just say fook it, you have to live after all.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Rossi320

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Aren’t canker sores from VD? Anyhow I know what you mean. I didn’t wear my bite guard the other night and there was a blood-filled blister on my lip the next day. So I am abstaining til it heals. Smoke carcinogen particulate can enter it and embed future cancer-causing stuff. I am not a doctor but have read this. I would say if you do smoke brush it thoroughly and mouthwash. Also, this is so infrequent of a thing for me so a few days off is no issue. If I had it all the time I might just say fook it, you have to live after all.
Mouth ulcers can be VD but are most commonly from Ph imbalance in the mouth, trauma to the mouth, or genetic conditions that lead to small sores in the cheek or gums. I am of the latter. I think it can wait, I am young guy and would like to look forward to a life ahead of me lol.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I rarely get them, but they are super annoying when they happen.

I've found that baking soda toothpaste works like magic. Tastes terrible, but that's the price. Specifically, I like Arm and Hammer Advance White.

Reactions: JOHN72

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
You
I rarely get them, but they are super annoying when they happen.

I've found that baking soda toothpaste works like magic. Tastes terrible, but that's the price. Specifically, I like Arm and Hammer Advance White.
i actually use baking soda and salt that I mix myself. It really helps whiten, remove coffee and smoke stains, and anecdotally helps heal things quicker I feel

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
genetic disposition to canker sores
Most likely Herpes Simplex I a virus related to chicken pox. Rinse with some mild salt water. Also try L-Lysine vitamin supplement. There is a new Vaccine just for HP 1 that came out in last few years ... two shots 6 months apart. (No MRNA). Reduce your stress levels as well to prevent outbreaks. See a doctor in person to get more and real info ... not just an untrained forum opinion like mine !

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
They can be from Herpes, but can also be due to a genetic predisposition and pH in mouth problem. I get them every time I eat oranges or drink orange juice. Love oranges, but haven't had one in years. Herpes tends to present as cold sores around the lips while canker sores tend to be along the gum line, such as you describe. Avoid acidic foods like oranges.

The best treatment is to avoid all irritants, like tobacco or acidic foods. Second best is to use mouthwash with antibacterial properties at least twice a day. Third best is to stop kissing your cousin. :LOL: OK, the third I just made up but I couldn't resist.

What I do is choose the second best, and smoke away. Does not seem to make them heal any slower in my experience. If you notice they heal much slower, then you may have to avoid the tobacco when you get one.

-Doc

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
It is easy advice to give, and hard advice for the giver or recipient to follow, but I would avoid adding irritant to inflammation. That said, when I have smoked with throat or mouth irritation/injury, I do not keep the smoke in my mouth long. Instead, I focus on finding enjoyment in the retrohale.

Reactions: JOHN72

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
You

i actually use baking soda and salt that I mix myself. It really helps whiten, remove coffee and smoke stains, and anecdotally helps heal things quicker I feel

yup, acidic foods are a big cause. 1teaspoon of sea salt or baking soda in a cup of warm water gargled. This solution is highly alkaline and destroys the acid of the sore.

Reactions: Egg Shen

The Pipe Professor

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2016
Kentucky
thepipeprofessor.com
Come to the pipe forum website to read and learn about pipes and instead leave with a degree in herpes treatment 😂
If I have a sore of sorts that shows up in my mouth, I avoid smoking until the initial flare up settles down. Just not an enjoyable experience in my personal experience. Good luck!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Herpes virus and canker sore are different. Canker sore is more related to genetic disposition and stress. Quit job and move to NC.

Dec 24, 2012
Interestingly, Esoterica just debuted a new blend called "Canker Sores are Yours". It sold out immediately and is already on an 18 month backorder.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
If I understand you correctly this condition does not cause cancer causing stuff.