PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I was wondering if others have had this experience: you sit down to have a smoke and you pack your pipe as you ordinarily do, but maybe you’re slightly distracted or on the phone. For whatever reason it just turns into a bad smoke. Maybe you have to keep relighting, maybe things get packed up and jammed at the bottom of the bowl. But ultimately you just give up and accept that the stars didn’t align. You empty the bowl of unsmoked tobacco and move on. I was just curious what people think might be the reason. Could it be that the perfect smoke requires attention and care, and that pipe smoking wasn’t ever meant to be rushed. Just the opposite !!

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
There are ways to fix badly packed bowl without dumping it. It all depends on where the problem is. However, first thing I do is put pipe cleaner all the way to bottom of the chamber and open up the air way.
Yes. Same here. I find that the usual culprit is not taking the time to dry tobacco and pull it apart so that it doesn’t clump up. Also, sometimes I do “fold and stuff” with flake tobacco and it gets packed too tight. Much better to rub out and let dry, then pack as usual. The two issues are almost always moisture and packing too tight. Also, sometimes relative humidity can be an issue especially on rainy days.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
A related occurrence with me is I get the pipe packed perfectly and the light is just right. The smoke is luxurious and every draw is just right. And then my wife calls me...
Damn ! Must be why I never married !

Reactions: proteus
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It happens for a variety of reasons. Just the other day I had a bowl that just wouldn't cooperate, and my draw was restricted. After trying to free it, and it not happening, I just dumped the rest of the bowl and cleaned the pipe. Grabbed a different one off the shelf and a different tobacco and carried on about my day. No sense fighting a pipe that doesn't want to be smoked.

PRogers

Lurker
Mar 26, 2024
Lexington KY
www.progerspipes.com
The two issues are almost always moisture and packing too tight. Also, sometimes relative humidity can be an issue especially on rainy days.
That’s my thoughts on it as well. Now that the season is changing and there’s more humidity in the air I find that I’m having this issue more often. Especially if I rush my packing and it’s a little too tight.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
Sometimes I’ll light up and it just doesn’t feel right. If I pick up another pipe and if it doesn’t work I’ll know it’s me which is usually the case. One pipe that always smokes satisfactorily for me is a Peterson System

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
That’s my thoughts on it as well. Now that the season is changing and there’s more humidity in the air I find that I’m having this issue more often. Especially if I rush my packing and it’s a little too tight.
It was definitely the humidity. We had a spell of rain for a week. Today is dry and I’m having a great smoke ! Chelsea Morning in a Savinelli brandy !

Reactions: Buzzard and PRogers

PRogers

Lurker
Mar 26, 2024
Lexington KY
www.progerspipes.com
It was definitely the humidity. We had a spell of rain for a week. Today is dry and I’m having a great smoke ! Chelsea Morning in a Savinelli brandy !
I had to look up that Chelsea morning. It sounds very tasty! But yeah mine was smoking better today as well. I’ve also been taking more time to do a better job of packing. I tend to press my bottom layer in a little too hard I think.