PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Toxicosis from oak is produced by high concentrations of tannic acid and its metabolites, gallic acid, and pyrogallol. Ingestion of toxic amounts of oak has been shown to cause ulcerative lesions in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract, liver lesions, and necrosis of proximal renal tubular epithelial cells.
Well then, I think I’ll pass on a new oak pipe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Toxicosis from oak is produced by high concentrations of tannic acid and its metabolites, gallic acid, and pyrogallol. Ingestion of toxic amounts of oak has been shown to cause ulcerative lesions in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract, liver lesions, and necrosis of proximal renal tubular epithelial cells.
Wow ! ... I'm not even gonna' look at oak finish Peterson's now ! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the info ! . 👍

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Yeah, there’s that. But they taste really nice and look good.

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I am yet to smoke my one new morta pipe .
Burns more often occur in morta than in briar,
so I contemplate giving the bowl an organic coating.
Anyhow; we are supposed to burn the tobacco, not the wood that contains it :)
I am not keen on fireplaces, wood burning stoves, open fires etc.
The smell does not agree with me and both the smell and the smoke irritate my respiratory tract .

Reactions: OzPiper

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I, personally, think hardwood pipes are way underrated—and shunned undeservedly simply because they are not briar. I do not have an oak pipe, but I actually prefer hardwood pipes to briar in many situations, mainly because the material seems so much more absorbent than briar . If I saw an oak pipe I liked, I’d go for it

Reactions: canucklehead
H

HRPufnstuf

I make my own pipe cement from oak ashes.
Wood ashes alone are said to be nontoxic and mixed with water this stuff dries rock hard.
Will try mix with waterglass too, but need to do some research.
Recently raised the floor on a MM Legend bowl 1/4 inch using oak ash mud, was missing the plug. Very durable.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Status
Not open for further replies.