PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I was looking at pipes online (as one does) and drooling over some wonderful Castello Le Dune bent billiards, but came to my senses with the $600 price tag and drifted into the world of Vauen (Germany's oldest pipe manufacturer), who also make some well-engineered and beautiful pipes. But what really caught my eye was their Topas line. These are paneled pipes that have twelve hand-sanded facets around the bowl. While still pricey, they also weren't anywhere near the Castello Le Dune cost and I pulled the trigger. Most Vauen pipes are 9mm filtered and I've been wanting to try that format out as well. It has the distinction of being my first straight briar! Absolutely stunning in person.

IMG_4457.jpegIMG_4461.jpegIMG_4460.jpeg

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I've never owned a Vauen but that's got me wanting to take more of a look.
For a make that is 170+ years old, I haven't seen them mentioned much in the forums. I think it may be because most of them are 9mm filtered, which isn't as popular in the states. I am impressed so far with the quality and construction. And the hand-sanded paneling is really nice in person.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
For a make that is 170+ years old, I haven't seen them mentioned much in the forums. I think it may be because most of them are 9mm filtered, which isn't as popular in the states. I am impressed so far with the quality and construction. And the hand-sanded paneling is really nice in person.
Yeah I think the 9mm is exactly why you don't see them often. I also think some of their styling is less conventional which will often have a narrower fan base.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I use the Vauen Charcoal 👍
I'll have to try them -- my pipe came with one that I haven't tried yet. I did just stop my current bowl of Elizabethan Mixture midway, swapped the Savinelli balsa filter for a Savinelli charcoal filter, and finished the second half. The blend was a bit 'sharper' with the charcoal, as if the balsa was slightly smoothing it out or something. Just one datapoint, but experimenting is fun! In dry tests, the Sav charcoal seems to have a bit more open of a draw than the Vauen that came with my pipe.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I'll have to try them -- my pipe came with one that I haven't tried yet. I did just stop my current bowl of Elizabethan Mixture midway, swapped the Savinelli balsa filter for a Savinelli charcoal filter, and finished the second half. The blend was a bit 'sharper' with the charcoal, as if the balsa was slightly smoothing it out or something. Just one datapoint, but experimenting is fun! In dry tests, the Sav charcoal seems to have a bit more open of a draw than the Vauen that came with my pipe.
I use the Savanelli 6mm charcoal in my Sav’s and filtered cobs. I use the 6mm Vauen in my cobs with acrylic stems, because the Savanelli’s don’t fit.

I use an old wooden tea chest with different compartments (scrounged from my wife) to store and separate my different filters. Lol 😂

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Looks very very nice. Dunhill thrown their toys over the white dot yet?
I had to look this up as I was wondering the same thing. According to pipedia, Vauen took out a trademark on white dot for Germany/Austria at the same time Dunhill did the same for international market (1920's). They settled in a way that Vauen can use it only in Germany/Austria and has to use different-colored dot in any other markets. Dunhill can use everywhere else.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally feel like Vauen and Brebbia don't get enough credit for what amazing pipes they make at the price point. My Vauen is possible the pipe I'd keep if I could only have one.