Not Quite Red Meat For The Duke Streets Irregulars--More Like An Expensive Plate Of Vegetables (Original circa 1930 Pipe Shape Catalog)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Life is peppered with regret. Big and small. Among the latter, for me, is failing bite the bullet and pony up a dozen years ago to buy John Loring's methodical, self-published four-volume compilation of Dunhill catalogs (on the other hand, at least I had the good sense to part with $20 to get John's The Dunhill Briar Pipe: The Patent Years And After).

In any event, in years before and since I do occasionally enjoy going on the hunt for Dunhill reference material, especially actual, original analog objects (a.k.a "books"--obsolete as they may be). And stumbled on a doozy earlier this week, that, alas, after several days (and nights) of hemming and hawing, I cannot quite talk myself into, since it is priced at a princely $280.72+shipping.

The work in question (which apparently appears in Loring's Volume IV, An Addendum) is eloquently described by him in the Preface as "dating to the early 1930s and intended for pipe shop use. It shows in numeric and alphabetical order the complete shape line of the day in outline form, including a great many letter denoted quaint shapes. I have found it to be my most commonly used 'everyday' working resource because of its ease of use and completeness."

In my correspondence with the bookseller, she very kindly sent me five scans which I thought might be of interest to fans of patent era pipes here, even if you're no more inclined than I am to spend $300 on a dogeared 38-page pamphlet.

As for anyone who is so inclined--send me a PM and I'll tell you how to reach the seller. (And just for the record, I've absolutely no financial stake in this or connection of any kind with the book shop in question; on the contrary, I'd simply like to see this find the right sort of home, maybe even get shared by the pipe community here--and all the more so since even the spiral bound version of it that John published has become almost totally unobtainable).

The kicker for me is the dandy original cardboard ruler that Dunhill's book designer made for the catalog--which is obviously intended to help pipe shops and their customers readily visualize the exact size of a pipe they might want to order sight unseen by mail.

Attachments

• escanear0066.jpg
    escanear0066.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 27
  • escanear0067.jpg
    escanear0067.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 35
  • escanear0068.jpg
    escanear0068.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 35
  • escanear0069.jpg
    escanear0069.jpg