Not a Beginner... But did I Break this new Stanwell?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I haven't bought a new pipe in several years. I ordered myself a Stanwell featherweight earlier this week and after my first bowl last night, I noticed a rather odd odor at the end, almost woody. After cooling and cleaning, here's what my draft hole looks like. Is this normal? All of my other draft holes are round? Is this brand new pipe burning out? Is this a manufacturing error?

I am one to smoke to the bottom, and dump out white ash, and white ash almost exclusively. Is this not the best practice for long term pipe health?View attachment 107351

You said you just bought it. Send it back under warranty exchange. Most reputable shops and makers warrant against burn out which that one is doing. You shouldn't have to worry about smoking extra gingerly.

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I haven't bought a new pipe in several years. I ordered myself a Stanwell featherweight earlier this week and after my first bowl last night, I noticed a rather odd odor at the end, almost woody. After cooling and cleaning, here's what my draft hole looks like. Is this normal? All of my other draft holes are round? Is this brand new pipe burning out? Is this a manufacturing error?

I am one to smoke to the bottom, and dump out white ash, and white ash almost exclusively. Is this not the best practice for long term pipe health?View attachment 107351
Must be the wrong photo. No one can do that much damage to a new pipe with just one bowl full.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The briar where the airway enters the chamber is paper thin and comes to a point so it burns very easily until cake is built up. On pipes that I make, I take the drill bit that I used to drill the airway and gently give it a few turns to cut out that thin briar to prevent this from happening. Keep in mind that you are only cutting around the thin part of the airway opening in the chamber and not the bottom of the pipe. I don't know any other pipe makers that do this and it certainly isn't done on Stanwell pipes. It's a small detail that, I think, results in a better pipe overall. You could still do this on this pipe if you have a 5/32" drill bit (non-brad point) and the pipe will be fine. Since burnt wood has a tendency to relight easier, it is at risk of continuing to burn at that point and could possibly result in a complete burnout so I highly recommend you perform the procedure above to remove the charred wood. It isn't necessarily a flaw in the pipe and can happen to any pipe prior to cake build up. I hope this helps.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
The top and sides look great. It’s hard to smoke through the bottom. I’ve burned through the side of several cobs and even a few briars, but you really have to try to burn a hole through the bottom